Author Topic: Wanted: Jumbo  (Read 12744 times)

Offline Dave Wright

• First Mate
Re: Wanted: Jumbo
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
Seems to me Anthony Lynndaker just dragged the Tolman he built in Ohio back up to Alaska. I'd bet he'd sell it to you right now just so he could move on to another project. You have to talk to guys who are selling boats - be proactive. And when you talk to them don't waste their time; have your money ready and be ready to haul.

Offline skiffless man

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Dave that was a way bigger boat than what I am talking about.

Offline Frank Olsen

• Boson
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
Not a Tolman but you might take a look at this boat, if you would consider an I/O.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4158659517.html

I've seen it on craigslist for a while now so the seller may be motivated.
Frank

Offline penguin

• Boson
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »
Not a Tolman but you might take a look at this boat, if you would consider an I/O.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4158659517.html

I've seen it on craigslist for a while now so the seller may be motivated.

Nice looking boat. But a "brand new" 15 year old inboard motor?  Did it sit in a crate for a decade and half?
Rod

Offline penguin

• Boson
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
so the 25 ft workboat at the lowest labor rate is $25,000.   the high grade awlgrip boat is $52,000.

The boats would ride identically.   shiny boats are nice, but I have a lot better things to do with $27 K than polish my shiny 25 wooden skiff.

Dave, you've said it all!! That is my philosophy too. I like a good looking boat as much as the next guy, but not at that cost! To each his own of course, but for me it's about being on the water and fishing!!  Mirror like finishes are hard to achieve and hard to maintain. No thanks.
Rod

Offline Oyster

• Third Mate
  • semi-retired woodworker- boat builder
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »
so the 25 ft workboat at the lowest labor rate is $25,000.   the high grade awlgrip boat is $52,000.

The boats would ride identically.   shiny boats are nice, but I have a lot better things to do with $27 K than polish my shiny 25 wooden skiff.

Dave, you've said it all!! That is my philosophy too. I like a good looking boat as much as the next guy, but not at that cost! To each his own of course, but for me it's about being on the water and fishing!!  Mirror like finishes are hard to achieve and hard to maintain. No thanks.

In many cases building your own hull is about the process and the enjoyment of accomplishment, including a nice finish. I know in my own instance I have two hulls that's at both ends of the spectrum, one with dash and splash using Kiltz to seal and get the boat in the water with plans in the winter to polish the rough corners off of it, and the other attention to details, finished out to yacht standards from the solid mahogany varnished floor forward to the complete varnished interior in the cabin.

Of course we as builders know all the perceived flaws and warts that is rarely if ever noticed by the casual walker by. But polish does cost and also begins in the building stage. But we all need to know what is required to accomplish the surface that gets those shiny topcoats. If not then you end up with a mess to look at too.
I am officially the chop liver member.

Offline skiffless man

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
After reading and thinking about your guys comments and other communications I have had with a couple of you I am starting to wonder if having a Jumbo built with a cabin would be the way to go. I could mount the 115hp and be on the water with it. I believe I could work locally to do the pilothouse with some advice and info off of this site.