Author Topic: 10" circular saw wanted  (Read 7414 times)

Offline kenF

• Able Seaman
    • Email
10" circular saw wanted
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
looking for a used 10" circular saw for scarfing
Thanks.

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Boat construction pictures
    • Email
22 Jumbo Started 8/15/2009
22 Jumbo Flipped 10/22/2009

This post is hand made by the artist and therefore subject to the artists interpretations regarding spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Email
Re: 10" circular saw wanted
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
Ken,

If you would like, I could  post some pictures of how I used a 7 1/4 in saw to make the scarfs.

Allen

This post is hand made by the artist and therefore subject to the artists interpretations regarding spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

Offline Lyle

• First Mate
  • 21'4" Widebody. NJ South
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
Ken

I was also going to purchase a 10" saw but didn't .Maybe I should have-could have passed it to you and anyone else in the group of builders. Ended up scarfing with my Bosch power plane. It was so easy ,fast and quite accurate. Any way you do it will come out fine.
Remain in neutral and move on to the next target
29.5 Seabright Skiff. Start Sep2018
21'4 Widebody. Class of 2009
17'6 Kayak 2013
18' Swampscott Dory 2012
16' River Runner Strip Canoe1996
19' Strip Canoe 1995

Offline dinghyman

• Able Seaman
    • WoodenBoatBlog.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »
Here's a great article on how to make a nice scarfing jig with a 10" saw.

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/stitchglue/plyshophtm/scarfjig2.htm

I used this rig to scarf four panels (x7) together for the bottoms of 7 driftboats in just a day. We went through a couple of blades but if you want to make easy scarfs, over and over again, this works. Here's a photo of the jig in use:
http://woodenboatblog.com/node/208

Having said all that and posted... for just a few scarfs, a powerplaner and grinder work just fine.

;-) Paul
Make things better.

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
Ken,

Use the west jig to cut your scarf, Then take a sharp knife and score the waste so you can snap it off without tearing the plywood. You are left with a 2 inch scarf and about 3/4 of an inch of waste that needs to still be removed.  Set up a router with a 1/2 (or so) straight bit, then screw a 1x4 (or so) board about 12 inches to the bottom of the router, with the long edge of the board  centered and against the bit. Set the height of the bit to the bottom of the board, then run the router along the taper of the scarf with the attached board following the scarf and the bit taking out the waste. Make 3 or 4 passes taking out a quarter or so on each pass.

I made a homemade scarfing jig with an old 7 1/4 makita sidewinder that I dropped off a roof and ruined the table. With the saw jig and the router setup I can cut a scarf in about 4 to 5 minutes.

Here is a picture of the router setup taking off the scarf waste.

Allen
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:37:22 PM by Brewboy »

Offline SmokinFletch

• First Mate
  • I got a boat building problem!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
I used the suggestions from the book for my scarfing jig.

I did not read the tutorial, but the business end of my blade is under the workpiece. therefore not spraying saw dust in your face. and a lot safer. Looks like a unsafe way to make a scarf.

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
What brew boy said, except for the router bit (pun, ha.). I snapped a line on each ply sheet, either 6 inches back, 8 inches, 4 inches, whatever was needed for that thickness of ply. I used renn's guide from the book to make the initial cut.  Didn't think of using the utility knife to trim, but that would have saved some fillet.

Then I stacked the ply(usually 6 sheet, but as many as 8), offset them based on the snapped lines (2 clamps was enough, 3 to be safe), and went to town with 36 grit and a belt sander. I think a power plane might have been faster, but not much. You HAVE to buy high quality belts (i.e. around $3 a belt, not available at lowes), but the results were satisfactory.

For kicks, on my dory, I stacked 4 sheets of 1/2 inch, no cuts, and did one side with the belt sander and one side with sureform.   Sureform was faster but a lot more work. I learned that I will always set up a cross cut saw with Renn's guide; even though the total time was about the same (takes time to set up each sheet), using the saw was a lot less work.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan

Offline kenF

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »
Took the sawzall to my old circular saw bladeguard and base. Installed 10" blade. Fabricated a new bladeguard out of scrap alum and a stove pipe. Test cuts- go very slow- motor not made for 10" blade.  I think it will work when i get the angles right.
Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
Gotta see pictures of that.

Offline tolman_paul

• Chief Officer
    • Ukverun Consulting LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
I imagine I spent less time using the cheapest ryobi power plane that home depot sold to make scarfs than I would have spent making up a jig for a 10" power saw.  I'm also positive I spent less on the planer and a bit of extra epoxy than I would have on a 10" saw.

I can't see the benefits of using a saw unless one is doing production work.