Author Topic: Have my ply  (Read 1549 times)

Offline dtmfess

• Deckhand
Have my ply
« on: December 19, 2023, 07:13:18 PM »
     Ok to all this is dtmfess from " ply after the fact" Thanks to all who commented and wishing you all the best this holiday season. So my ply Oakume was delivered last week and will start work on that probably in February. I found a 10 x 22 heavy duty plastic ziplock bag. I will put the wood ,epoxy, a few cats and various filler material inside. My question is how long do I need to shake the bag till the boat comes out? Merry Christmas to all. Tight Lines.

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
Re: Have my ply
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 05:08:11 AM »
My question is how long do I need to shake the bag till the boat comes out?
It depends on how vigorously you shake it.
https://www.fishyfish.com/boards/index.php?topic=5536.0
Started: 3/2019
Flipped: 6/2019
Floated: 6/2020

Offline KenB

• Chief Officer
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 08:20:23 AM »
Add some Yukon Jack.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline dtmfess

• Deckhand
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 07:12:15 PM »
Shaking the bag didn't work,  first scarfs cut last week.  Does anyone have a line on UHMW near to or will ship to Maryland.?

Offline cj8mule

• Third Mate
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 06:45:57 AM »
I would check Harbor Sales.  They'll also have the lexan if you are making windows

--dave
Jumbo 27' started July, 2016, flipped Feb, 2017, launched Sept, 2017

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. – Ronald Reagan

Offline dtmfess

• Deckhand
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 07:22:42 PM »
     I checked Harbor, Not trying to buy a whole sheet for 500. I purchased my ply from them, at a great price and free delivery. I can't believe everyone brought a full sheet to do this. Guessing to use ipe if I can't find some.
     Has anyone added width to the shelves? 4 in is not much if you plan on drilling in a rod holder or 2. What did you guys do?

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 07:39:25 PM »
     I checked Harbor, Not trying to buy a whole sheet for 500. I purchased my ply from them, at a great price and free delivery. I can't believe everyone brought a full sheet to do this.
Thankfully, there's a retailer here who carries all kinds of thicknesses and will cut off whatever you want.

Quote from:
Has anyone added width to the shelves? 4 in is not much if you plan on drilling in a rod holder or 2. What did you guys do?
Mine are about 7".

Offline Steve V

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 06:26:15 AM »
Amazon sells small pieces (4" x 48"x 1/2") for around $40. I only used it for the sliding door on the cabin, so didn't buy much. Did a search online, there is a Piedmont Plastics (https://www.piedmontplastics.com/) in Elkridge, MD that sells it but didn't see pricing on the website. There is also a Chesapeake Plastics  (https://chesapeakeplastics.com/) in Lusby, MD but they are a manufacturer not a supplier.
26' jumbo Started March 2020, flipped August 2020, launched June 2022

Offline dtmfess

• Deckhand
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 07:49:37 AM »
     Thank you fella's, We have one more stack of scarfs to do then break out the epoxy (delivered yesterday). Already have jig thanks to CP. Stock and LVL hope to have by the 9th.  If all goes well assembling pieces sometime in June. Yet ..."change is more quickly than planning". We'll see how it goes.

Kubok, did you just widen the back shelf measurements on the inside edge?

This will be my updating/go to thread, looks like for a couple of years, till its done. To those checking in with advise, Thank you for your time. I hope you understand how much it means to me and how valuable it is. Thank you, Tight Lines.

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 08:20:19 AM »
   Kubok, did you just widen the back shelf measurements on the inside edge?
My gunwales are the same width along their entire length.  All the widening is done on the inboard side, outboard/beam measurements are book spec.

Offline bullet

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 04:12:47 PM »
Mine are 12”, all the way around. I like it.

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 10:50:59 AM »
Mine are 12”, all the way around. I like it.

My gunnels are the same all around. Makes it much easier to go forward. Width is about 9 1/2".

You can see my thoughts on the subject: https://www.fishyfish.com/mytolman29.html

Steveoh

Offline dtmfess

• Deckhand
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 06:47:55 PM »
I read those thoughts, reeling without leaning out. I liked that. Did get the rest of my scarfs cut and even glued 2 this weekend. The book says  a pound of each filler. I ordered 2 lbs. Never epoxied like that before. Did not realize how much fibers you need to thicken. I did not find that a little goes along way. These fibers, wood flour, can o, and balloons are not going to get very far.

Offline GlacierBoats

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 05:50:05 AM »
I read those thoughts, reeling without leaning out. I liked that. Did get the rest of my scarfs cut and even glued 2 this weekend. The book says  a pound of each filler. I ordered 2 lbs. Never epoxied like that before. Did not realize how much fibers you need to thicken. I did not find that a little goes along way. These fibers, wood flour, can o, and balloons are not going to get very far.

Some outfits sell the fillers in large plastic bags ... the price per pound is way less this way.  For wood flour, find a local cabinet shop .... they'll often give you 'wood flour' (fine sanding sawdust) or sell it cheap.  You may have to pick out some splinters and larger stuff now and then, but it's a fair trade.  Any type of wood for the wood flour is fine...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 02:53:13 PM »
In order of volume, I used:
wood flour (a few gallons)
West 403 microfibers (about 14 oz)
fumed silica (about 12 oz)
West graphite powder (8-10 oz)
glass microspheres (zero)
phenolic spheres (zero)

Besides using it straight as thickener where applicable, I mixed microfibers into my wood flour at a ratio of about 20% (for bulk, strength, consistency).

Some of the wood flour I used was sourced locally from sanders and table saws. I found that screening it through an inexpensive fine mesh kitchen strainer produced a good, consistent product.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 03:04:46 PM by Kobuk »