Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: 20’ Widebody Build
« Last post by barrelroll on November 16, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »
Did you look at the DF70A/90A? The 60AV does not come in a 25 inch...

I did not really consider a 90. I went with the 140 because it's the same weight as a 115. My Tolman is heading towards the heavier side of a widebody so I think the extra power will be nice.

We put a lot of miles/ hours on our boat. We did about 2,200 miles this summer in a boat that cruises around 18-20mph in 2 foot or less seas which makes for some very long trips. Our local halibut grounds are 30 miles away so a 60 mile day is pretty normal. Our longest trip this year was a 120 mile run from dock to dock totaling 500 miles in a week including exploring and fishing. Mike Schlecter is local and his widebody hit 34mph and I believe cruised in the 20's with a 115 etec in similar conditions. Getting numbers close to that would be great.
Tolman Skiff Adventures / Early Spring Valdez Rendezvous?
« Last post by Kobuk on November 15, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »
-15F. tonight...6 months to go and I'm already dreaming of spring.......It's going to be a looooooooong winter! :(

I'm hoping, against great odds, for an early breakup and ice-free roads in April.  Of course I'll adjust as necessary, but am hoping for an early weather window.  I'm plotting a two week, 500-600 mile circumnavigation tour of the eastern half of PWS, with a fuel/pizza stop in Cordova...

When's the last time there was a Valdez spring Tolman rendezvous? Is it too soon to start planning a get-together? Maybe we could entice Gary and Deb down from Fairbanks. Anybody else interested?

Damn, I hate winter!
« Last post by KenB on November 15, 2021, 06:14:17 AM »
Did you look at the DF70A/90A? The 60AV does not come in a 25 inch...
« Last post by barrelroll on November 14, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
I just got a "at least 54 weeks out" for a quote on a merc 250...

I shopped motors in December 2020 and at the time Mercury and Yamaha were both order now and have it by spring, Suzuki was quoting 3 weeks. Ordered in March, Suzuki dealer was still staying 3 weeks though come to find out he had been waiting on motors ordered in November. He may have been getting some in 3 weeks though was probably full of it. After dealing with this Suzuki dealer I found out the go to no complaints dealer in the area is a Yamaha dealer 120 miles south of here.

I think I'm looking at an April or May launch at the earliest so I'm not in panic mode yet. It would be nice to know which gauge I need to run and see the motor I paid in full for sitting in town. I do have a 60hp etec I could steal though I've headed back towards a heavier build that would be a lot for a 60.
You could be, like, the first skiff builder in the history of the world to do so.
Surely, that can't be true.  And even if it were, I'm not that ambitious.  I bet Barrelroll could pull it off, tho. ;D
I hate the thought of doing actual buoyancy calculations because i'm lazy.  But if i was to do the buoyancy calcs, i'd have to get into the minutia - sealed compartments, empty fuel tanks, engine cylinders, the plywood itself...everything rigidly attached to the boat - because i'm a little bit autistic, maybe.

Aw, c'mon, do the calculations. You could be, like, the first skiff builder in the history of the world to do so.
Boat Building Materials / Re: Home Depot 'Marine Ply' mystery solved...
« Last post by Lyle on November 14, 2021, 08:49:15 AM »
Great news!

Do have a price? I checked the lowes.com website and couldn't find it. Is it this item? Item #659222

Currently 3/4 = 79.00
Can't see 1/2 price though they have it on shelf.
Lowes is the worst at having price tags on lumber in the store- at least in my loc!
« Last post by KenB on November 14, 2021, 07:01:19 AM »
I just got a "at least 54 weeks out" for a quote on a merc 250...
Boat Building Materials / Re: Home Depot 'Marine Ply' mystery solved...
« Last post by KenB on November 14, 2021, 07:00:20 AM »
Great news!

Do have a price? I checked the lowes.com website and couldn't find it. Is it this item? Item #659222
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: 400 qt. Cooler
« Last post by poisonarrow on November 13, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
It is 27 wide x 60 long x 24 high outside. I used 5x5 baltic birch 1/8 plywood.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10