Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: Paint Choices
« Last post by pfithian on November 22, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »
 Valspar Duramax. Apply directly to sanded cured epoxy.
« Last post by Lyle on November 22, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
We used house paint, 5 years later it still looks brand new and no you don't need primer over epoxy. No one seems to believe me but I researched it a lot and came to the conclusion that I didn't need to buy over priced boat paint.

When I built my skiff, I called Petit and asked if I could use their antifouling paint over new epoxy, without primer. Their answer was yes- and it worked fine.
 Three years later I stripped the bottom and primed with Sys 3 Yacht primer, than applied antifoul. Only reason for that was at end of season, I'd have some spots of bottom paint missing and did not want epoxy exposed over the winter.

On a flagpole project, I used Ben Moore Super Spec Urethane Alkyd ( 2021 price is $41.00/gal) over Raka epoxy only a day or two after coating. It's held up for the last 10 years!
 Use the same Moore product for topsides of skiff. I think it's the same or very close to Pettit EasyPoxy. Adding some talc really improved the body of the paint- felt more like EasyPoxy.
« Last post by EasternshoreBob on November 22, 2021, 03:22:23 AM »
Painted my skiff 8 years ago with Sys 3 primer and polyurethane. Held up well but about a year ago the Poly has started coming off in places to the primer almost looks like a very light sand blasting on the bow. I am sure it is a prep issue on my part but no complaints on the primer.

Bob
« Last post by TFreeburg on November 21, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
I have used Interlux, with their primer.  I think it’s going to be great.
« Last post by cj8mule on November 21, 2021, 06:55:19 AM »
We used house paint, 5 years later it still looks brand new and no you don't need primer over epoxy. No one seems to believe me but I researched it a lot and came to the conclusion that I didn't need to buy over priced boat paint.

I'm going on 5 years with mine and no one believed me either.  I've painted a lot vehicles and the first thing you lay down is an epoxy primer.  There is no better primer!

--dave
« Last post by Twallace on November 20, 2021, 09:07:31 PM »
Anyone try Interlux paint?
« Last post by Kobuk on November 20, 2021, 02:44:22 AM »
Did you primer the entire boat Kobuk before using your final colour?

Or would a final colour be fine over the glass?
I had issue with 3 different brand paints not drying properly without primer. (All 3 were alkid enamel/oil based paint).  Given that experience I would personally not attempt to go without primer.
« Last post by cbaker on November 19, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »
« Last post by barrelroll on November 19, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
I went with Pettit for my boat for a couple reasons. When I was shopping for paint none of the local places were much help with paint for a stitch and glue boat. I called up Pettit and a real live English speaking person picked up the phone, answered my questions, and didn't recommend the most expensive products they offered. I've called and asked a couple more questions and they are very helpful. We have 2 stores in town who stock it so if 1 is out the other might have it, couple that with the Alaska shipping mess and I went with Pettit.

I've only used their bilge paint and so far so good.
« Last post by Twallace on November 19, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »
How much should I expect to use to cover the outside and inside, minus the graphite bottom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10