Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tolman Skiff Adventures / Re: Early Spring Valdez Rendezvous?
« Last post by Kobuk on November 26, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
Yea, I love SE. Wish I could afford the Sitka area. :(
A SE trip might have to happen someday, after I'm done exploring PWS.
Tolman Skiff Adventures / Re: Early Spring Valdez Rendezvous?
« Last post by barrelroll on November 26, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »
That would be a fun trip. I wish I could make it though best case scenario I'm hoping to be putting the finishing touches on in May and am trying to stay local till the Tolman is done.

Ever think of making a southeast trip? Tow to Haines or Skagway and head south. Circling Admarality Island and possibly heading west to Sitka would be an awesome trip. Looks like it's about double the towing time and there's the Canadian border issue compared to Valdez. I know of at least 2 other Tolmans in Juneau (Mike Schlecters is supposed to be in town under new ownership and I spotted the red jumbo the guy built in a tent and did a blog on at our salmon derby), there's a great Alaskan in progress and possibly some other Tolmans around town. I know a couple great Alaskan guys are planning inside passage trips next summer and looking for other boats.
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: Paint Choices
« Last post by Kobuk on November 26, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
Any more info on the bottom paint. I did a really nice epoxy/ graphite job and now the wife has decided she wants to keep the boat in the water for the summer. I was going to use Pettit hydrocoat right over the epoxy. As much as I don't want now would be the time for primer.
The only thing i can offer is that the graphite doesn't seem to make any difference regarding paint adhesion; find a paint/primer happy over epoxy and it will be happy over graphite/cab-o-sil/epoxy.
My bateau C17 (similar hull shape to a short widebody) has foam under the deck running down between the stringers. The lowest points of the compartments are left open and ventilated with inspection ports. I used high density polyurethane block foam to make a well, and then foamed in between that and the stringers. Above the sole I'll have seats, compartments and block foam along the sides to provide some resistance to capsize at least until I can get the elephant trunk scuppers to bail.

If it helps Dave Gerr put some calculations in his book, The Nature of Boats. 

https://archive.org/details/natureofboatsins00gerr_0

You need 1 cubic foot of foam for every: 37 pounds of Aluminium; 45 pounds of fibreglass; 32 pounds of steel; or 30 pounds of lead. This is for half submerged flotation. So if you have an idea of the amount of glass and epoxy you used, the weight of your motor, battery and rigging and ground tackle you should be able to get a good idea.

Obviously the location of the foam matters. Near heavy objects and not all on the bottom of the boat for reasons stated earlier.

General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: Paint Choices
« Last post by barrelroll on November 26, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »
We used house paint, 5 years later it still looks brand new and no you don't need primer over epoxy. No one seems to believe me but I researched it a lot and came to the conclusion that I didn't need to buy over priced boat paint.

When I built my skiff, I called Petit and asked if I could use their antifouling paint over new epoxy, without primer. Their answer was yes- and it worked fine.
 Three years later I stripped the bottom and primed with Sys 3 Yacht primer, than applied antifoul. Only reason for that was at end of season, I'd have some spots of bottom paint missing and did not want epoxy exposed over the winter.

On a flagpole project, I used Ben Moore Super Spec Urethane Alkyd ( 2021 price is $41.00/gal) over Raka epoxy only a day or two after coating. It's held up for the last 10 years!
 Use the same Moore product for topsides of skiff. I think it's the same or very close to Pettit EasyPoxy. Adding some talc really improved the body of the paint- felt more like EasyPoxy.

Any more info on the bottom paint. I did a really nice epoxy/ graphite job and now the wife has decided she wants to keep the boat in the water for the summer. I was going to use Pettit hydrocoat right over the epoxy. As much as I don't want now would be the time for primer.
Introduce Yourself / Re: Hello from Sooke BC
« Last post by danno17 on November 25, 2021, 06:51:21 PM »
Well, hello and welcome.  I'm attempting to finish a Tolnam Seabright Skiff.  Hope to do some painting before Christmas.  I'm in Alberta near Edmonotn. I hope your project goes well.

Dan
Announcements / Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last post by TFreeburg on November 25, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
And the same good wishes back to you!
Announcements / Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last post by guldam on November 25, 2021, 06:35:15 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Hope you all have a big feast with all the trimmings and get to share it with friends and loved ones.

Life is good!
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: ATV Winch for Trailer
« Last post by jim shula on November 24, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »
Nice setup.  How is the rebuild coming along?
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / ATV Winch for Trailer
« Last post by pfithian on November 24, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
I've been using an ATV winch setup for the past year, way easier than manual cranking.  Push a button and it works either direction.

Use the trailer chassis as a ground. You can either mount a battery on the tonque and trickle charge it with the 7 way connector 12V Aux Charging circuit,  or run a heavy cable from the truck battery (+) and frame (-) to an Anderson connector near the hitch ball like I did.  Add an additional heavy cable ground from the battery (-) to the frame at the front.

I used this housing for the Anderson connector, mounted on the back bumper: https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Female-Connector-Assembly-Mounting/dp/B0818LVP8W/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=anderson%2Bconnector%2Bhousing%2B175&qid=1637674098&qsid=133-2949769-4665427&sr=8-16&sres=B08199M2F3%2CB082G9ZL8Q%2CB082G9DYHZ%2CB07MV3JW46%2CB081DH6T17%2CB07PH6GQKZ%2CB07MV2LH1J%2CB082G4CMQX%2CB082G5F6G3%2CB07PJ8NJ8M%2CB07MV1FR5Q%2CB082G5XMCX%2CB07PJB99QJ%2CB07NQCLJMR%2CB08R3B7M4M%2CB0818LVP8W%2CB08KW2W9TW%2CB07H4HC1PZ%2CB01KHQR0K4%2CB007JMTS14&th=1

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10