Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: 20’ Widebody Build
« Last post by KenB on Today at 05:16:57 AM »
YAY! Hes back! New progress looks great, keep up the momentum!

I remember reading that you were sanding primer… got a bit worried. Build fast go fishing!

That 115 is worth the effort, wish you had posted photos of the disaster… fixing an old boat is more work than building new, and should only ever be done as a labor of love! On the 115, I think its a prop guard? anyway there is a good plastic bushing or guard in the prop shaft that can be replaced with a metal part. if its a newer model year, merc might have already done it for you. pretty sure you will like that merc after the yammy fuel bills. merc oil changes are also easy, almost a pleasure. almost.
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: 20’ Widebody Build
« Last post by barrelroll on July 18, 2024, 09:08:02 PM »
First actual Tolman update in 2+ years. After moving things around in the shop it was time to get to work. First project was raising the transom from 20 to 25" to use the 115hp mercury I'm borrowing from the c-disaster. Once the Transom was raised I hung the motor so I could start mocking up the splashwell. I went with a minimal splashwell for maximum fishing  room. I've decided to add a rear deck and probably a 3rd gad tank. The pilot house had a 16" roof extension, with a deck it was going to be a head banger. The angled back of the pilot house looked good though ate up some fishing room. I cut 14" off the roof and the angled extensions off. Last project was cutting out the side windows to final size.

I was going to cut the bulkhead off of the pilot house, shorten it up, and use a canvas bulkhead though decided I might as well keep the hard bulkhead. Cutting the angled pieces off the pilot house really opened up the fish deck. The pilot house has a 5'8" floor, the fish deck is 91" from the transom to the bulkhead. The angled splashwell also opens up a lot of room as well.

It was nice to make some saw dust and start making progress. I'll be slow going till winter hits the fish are biting and we've been having a blast on the water this summer.
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: Rain Fly / Sun Shade
« Last post by BobC on July 18, 2024, 05:49:22 AM »
Very Nice!
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Rain Fly / Sun Shade
« Last post by pfithian on July 17, 2024, 03:09:48 PM »
Put this together out of 2 oz ripstop polyester cloth with 5 oz 2" wide Dacron tape edging.  I used a Sailrite LS machine with a 2" Swing-Away Binder to apply the edging.

Fasteners/snaps through the Dacron tape edging provide a strong connection, this cover is very light and tough.

Webbing across the back is 1" white polyester grosgrain.  In the rod holders are 1-5/16 diameter oak closet poles, slotted at the end to accept a loop of webbing.  Easy to apply tension to the web by turning the poles in the rod holder, giving good support to the back edge of the sun shade.

Male DOT snaps on the poles hold it in place, reef points on the sides take up the excess material when in sun shade mode.
Tolman Skiff Adventures / Re: First Isle Royale Trip
« Last post by pfithian on July 17, 2024, 11:56:35 AM »
Trip is a go, planning to splash in Baraga tomorrow and venture up the Keweenaw, hoping over to Isle Royale if we can later in the week.
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Re: Widebody Oar Setup
« Last post by Kobuk on July 15, 2024, 08:25:40 PM »
Pages 211-212 of the last book.
« Last post by GlacierBoats on July 15, 2024, 09:24:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure that his original book gave specs on oars and oar lock placement ... I'd start there and go with oars 6" longer than what the Standard calls for.

« Last post by Kobuk on July 15, 2024, 09:00:21 AM »
I've seen it brought up once or twice over the years, and believe i can recall maybe seeing an old photo of Renn sitting at oars, but that was probably a small Standard(?).  Personally, I carry a long-shafted canoe paddle and use it a lot for maneuvering around on, and pushing off from gravel/mud flats when beaching...but i can and do routinely motor in only 3' of water, so can't really imagine the practicality of carrying/employing oars.  While building i imagined i would employ a long shafted boat hook/push pole and constructed storage for such, but in practice i have no need and have never purchased one.
« Last post by BobC on July 15, 2024, 05:58:09 AM »
A poling platform but be easier to manage than oars, But I'm sure either could be done.  Storing the oars when not in use will likely be the greatest challenge and a lot will depend on the seating position/height of the rower.
General Discussion Tolman Skiffs / Widebody Oar Setup
« Last post by Twallace on July 14, 2024, 07:03:16 AM »
Anyone have an oar setup on their widebody?

Im interested in oar length, type of locker and location.

Im mostly interested in them for paddling through shallow sections of water.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10