Author Topic: 30 Foot Kodiak GA 9'6" Beam Started in Bend, Oregon by West Coast Boat Works  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Grady300

• First Mate
  • Current Build 30' Kodiak Great Alaskan 9' 6" Beam
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
That will be interesting. Looks like only one motor is in. I'm thinking the single 140 Suki will push it just fine til the other one comes in.
This offers a HUGE opportunity to gain knowledge and gather data that you wouldn't otherwise have.  You can get a prop dialed in on the single without needing to buy two at a time. And you'll be able to meticulously record performance data with the single so that once you add the twin you can definitively calculate how much real HP you actually gained against the additional weight and drag. You'll be one of the few people in existence to have done this and gained real data, rather than just hypothesizing!
Exactly my thoughts
Chuck M.
Tolman Skiff  KITS &
Great Alaskan Kits Available
On the Western Half of USA
<a href="http://www.wcboatworks.com">West Coast Tolman Skiff Kits</a>
21' 4" Wide Body Launch Oct. 2012

Offline Cordell

• Boson
She looks outstanding! Certainly better than alot of the production boats out there. You built a better (and better looking) boat than you could buy!

Inspiring for sure, and a fast build. Thats a LOT of boat.

25'  Jumbo
Start: 8/29/15
Flip: 4/9/16
Launched: 1/27/2018

Offline Grady300

• First Mate
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
She looks outstanding! Certainly better than alot of the production boats out there. You built a better (and better looking) boat than you could buy!

Inspiring for sure, and a fast build. Thats a LOT of boat.
Thank you very much !! I found myself saying "that's a lot of boat" every time I picked up a sander...lol once I add my solar panels I will be able to live of grid if I wanted.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:33:42 PM by Grady300 »
Chuck M.
Tolman Skiff  KITS &

Offline Grady300

• First Mate
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: 30 Foot Kodiak GA 9'6" Beam Started in Bend, Oregon by West Coast Boat Works
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »
Launched Izzy J on Wednesday I was by myself. As luck would have it my friend’s wife and 2 daughters just happened to be nearby, so they were my launch crew!!! They did great helping me out! It was pretty chaotic so we didn’t get a lot of pictures the ramp was busy. Long story but I didn’t get time to run her out in the bay, I went straight from the ramp to my slip. I had a few day’s work to do before she’s ready to venture out, most of it is done now. I’ll get back over this next weekend to finish up a few things then take her out and see what a single 140 can do on a 31 foot hull.
 BTW The Bow Thruster Works Great
Chuck M.
Tolman Skiff  KITS &

Offline Dave Wright

• First Mate
Re: 30 Foot Kodiak GA 9'6" Beam Started in Bend, Oregon by West Coast Boat Works
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2021, 09:48:03 AM »
Looks fantastic!  Were the sandbags in photo one to make up for the missing motor and reduce trailer tongue weight?

Offline Grady300

• First Mate
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2021, 03:35:22 PM »
Looks fantastic!  Were the sandbags in photo one to make up for the missing motor and reduce trailer tongue weight?
Absolutely correct!
Chuck M.
Tolman Skiff  KITS &

Offline Kobuk

• Third Mate
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2021, 09:36:07 AM »
Any sea trial results to report yet, Chuck?
22' Widebody
Started: 3/2019
Flipped: 6/2019
Floated: 6/2020

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
Beautiful Boat! Stunning!  Congrats!
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan

Offline TFreeburg

• Boson
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2021, 06:38:50 PM »
So is there a word for happy and jealous at the same time?
Snohomish Tom
My goal: 25' Jumbo
First epoxy: 10/3/17
Flipped: 6/15/2019