Author Topic: More on epoxy allergy  (Read 4229 times)

Offline dbohara

• Able Seaman
    • Email
More on epoxy allergy
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:04 AM »
It no longer goes away completely by avoiding epoxy.  This because the culprit chemical (Bis-Phenol-A) is in everything these days.  Avoiding work on the boat will allow me to live although I am always itchy.  Any exposure to epoxy brings on days of my arms and shoulders being covered with a weeping poison-ivy-like rash that lasts from a couple days to a couple of weeks.  I've done enough work on the boat this year to establish a very clear relationship.  Even the cured epoxy when sanded causes it.
Prednisone relieves it and I can get my skin mostly clear of it but the docs will not prescribe it more than 3x/year due to internal damage it causes.
The Tyvek suit and respirator helped a lot but working in that stuff is hard when its so hot out.  Then, there's always the temptation to want to fix a little ding or crack with a dab of epoxy thinking "Just being around a tiny bit for a few minutes wont hurt" without suiting up,.....WRONG.
I'd love top build a bigger Tolman or GA but that is clearly not possible.

Offline Dave Wright

• First Mate
Re: More on epoxy allergy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
That's a horrible allergy that you're stuck with Dave. Every now and then some company comes out with what they call a "safe" non allergenic epoxy. I don't believe them. I think they replace the bisphenol A (BPA) with BPS and BPF. I don't know if you've tried these epoxies, but I imagine you would get the same serious allergic reactions. I posted this link to an article some time ago, it's worth a read:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1408989/

"Bisphenol S and F: A Systematic Review and Comparison of the Hormonal Activity of Bisphenol A Substitutes"

The bottom line from the article:

"Based on the current literature, BPS and BPF are as hormonally active as BPA, and they have endocrine-disrupting effects."

And deeper into the article:

"These results indicate that the potencies of BPS and BPF are in the same order of magnitude as the potency of BPA, and BPF may be just as potent (or more potent) than BPA. Further, BPS and BPF have potencies in the same order of magnitude as BPA in regard to androgenic, antiandrogenic, antiestrogenic, and aryl hydrocarbon activity and inhibitory hormonal signaling in adipocytes (Table 4)."

Offline dbohara

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
Unfortunately, I also often have to use various epoxies at work because there are two varieties that are ultra-high vacuum compatible and most of the 5 minute epoxies are high voltage resistant.  However, I've found an interesting substitute, UV curing polymers.  I dont know if they have Bis-Phenol in them but I can imagine building with them by putting it on and then using a UV lamp to cure it very quickly.  You couldnt thicken anything or glue edges with it but you could coat ply with it.

Offline Oyster

• Third Mate
  • semi-retired woodworker- boat builder
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
FWIW, this is an issue that I have dealt with for years, which forced me into semi to complete retirement.  I wanted to continue to build something. So I went  back to a hybrid build incorporating plank on frame with glued lapstrake being second choice above the chines and waterline.  But there are simple sleeves only that I and may others use that will not be as hot while protecting the arms and allowing some limited use of the epoxy.  I also use a big chicken house type fan blowing across the work and mixing area that helps mainly in the summer time. 

But of all the resins that I have used, the EBond affects me the least, and mainly with the medium to slower hardeners.  West System is the absolute worse in the high dollar stuff while Fiberglass Coatings will almost put me into hives directly related to their 5 to 1 hardeners. 

An example is here.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-system--sleeves--16900748?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-16900748&adpos=1o1&creative=108421552804&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKbaoYbu4s4CFU9ZhgodanME3Q
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:33:34 PM by Oyster »
I am officially the chop liver member.

Offline UP Tolman

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
I have to agree that ebond doesn't seem to affect me. I used 42 gal aero marine in my build and using just the smallest amount got my wrists and fingers to flare up during the last bit of it. I used 9 more gallons ebond and not one bit of irritation.

Greg
Jumbo 24; Started July 2014; Rolled November 2014; launched August 2016