Author Topic: Two Hands  (Read 6496 times)

Offline GPorter

• Deckhand
    • Email
Two Hands
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
Ok, heres a safety tip for the day , actually for every day.
ALWAYS.....Two hands on your chisel.
If you do this you'll avoid a very unpleasant experience.
This is a rule I learned from Kelly Mehler who had a worker in his shop forget.
Seems a tendon rolled itself up the guys arm which required quite an opperation to restore.
I've tried to obide by this rule since and so far so good. 
Sorta like not standing in front of you gun when shooting..... 8)
Gary
Living Life on the Ragged Edge.....By a Safe Margin.

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
Re: Two Hands
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
Can you elaborate on 2 hands on the chisel.  Mine got dull so it was one hand holding the chisel and the other holding a 2 lb sledge hammer.  On second thought perhaps sharpening would be safer.

In seriousness, how did the guy roll up a tendon?  To be honest I am not good with a chisel.  I had a hard time keeping them sharp enough.  I did have some and tried to keep them sharp but I am afraid they were not good quality.  I have heard that once you use good chisels you can't go back to cheap ones.  It seemed I was more of a sander/grinder guy than a craftsman.  I would like to work with a craftsman sometime to see how it should be done.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline GPorter

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
Ah well,  I guess I should have been clearer but mainly its a problem when doing hand work and it catches folks when they are holding a piece or steadying one hand on the piece while paring away with the chisel in the other hand.   You catche a spot on the wood or the chisel breaks out and the pressure you have on it lets it quickly penetrate the other hand.   There isn't much on your hands between the outer skin and the bone so its easy to do damage inlcuding cutting parts that are needed for function.    Its not a good thing but easy to happen.  If your doing work with a chisel in one hand and a mallet in the other then no problem..   Sharp is good as it gives you much better control with less pressure.
Hope that helps.
Gary
Living Life on the Ragged Edge.....By a Safe Margin.

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
I see.  That makes sense and is what I thought.  That is when it is nice to have a long handled chisel.  Kind of like drawing a knife to your body insead of away.  Not a real good idea.  Thanks for the reminder.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline cmorse

• Swabbie
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
"In seriousness, how did the guy roll up a tendon?"

Tendons are pretty elastic.  Reflexively, one might start flexing his finger(s) to be sure everything is "working OK."  Do that too much and the tendon contracts and sneaks up the finger, hand, or (dare I say) arm.  It takes a bit to locate it and fish it back to where it should be.

Hope that isn't too "Cliff Clavin"...

Take care!

Cory

Offline jim shula

• Captain
    • Salt Water Workshop
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »
I did just the thing Gary describes several years ago.  I was trying out a new wet sharpener I had just bought, and by holding the block of wood in one hand and pushing the chisel with another, I slipped and drove the chisel into the meaty part of my thumb.  It was about midnight on a cold, windy winter night, and the e-room was 20 miles away.  I called them and asked if I could wait until morning to come in.  Nope, they said.  Better come in now.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:21 PM »
Ah well,  I guess I should have been clearer but mainly its a problem when doing hand work and it catches folks when they are holding a piece or steadying one hand on the piece while paring away with the chisel in the other hand.   You catche a spot on the wood or the chisel breaks out and the pressure you have on it lets it quickly penetrate the other hand.   There isn't much on your hands between the outer skin and the bone so its easy to do damage inlcuding cutting parts that are needed for function.    Its not a good thing but easy to happen.  If your doing work with a chisel in one hand and a mallet in the other then no problem..   Sharp is good as it gives you much better control with less pressure.
Hope that helps.
Gary

Did that with a screwdriver ...once.  I still have the scar.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>