Author Topic: Respirator  (Read 4637 times)

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
Respirator
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »
I found a lot of comments about using a respirator.
Some builders go as far as using a fresh air supply respirator. There is also the option of a full face mask vs a partial mask that can be combined with protective goggles if needed. I need to use glasses if i work on details, so fogging and comfort should be as good as possible.
Others just use a cartridge type respirator.
I am aware of the allergy risk with epoxy and want to start with the right equipment.
I looked at the safety guidelines from different brands, but they do not recommend anything too specific.

Any recommendations? Prices?
Peter

Offline luk diver

• Chief Officer
    • Email
Re: Respirator
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:59:02 AM »
 Steveoh went to the forced air respirator due to becoming sensitized to the hardner? and becuase of his (luckily now gone) cancer. Depending on your age and lung health it might be necessary for some individuals? We basically used cheapie dust mask for dust and didn't go exotic(ha ha) till we painted with full blown LPU paint. This mask is one we used for most work and glasses aren't effected too bad and they're comfortable. We work construction and is the 'go-to' respirator for most welders. Despite all out years in construction (concrete dust, dirt, welding/burning fumes) we seemed to not be effected by the boat building project. All just IMO. B & B

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »
This is the one I use: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2180&familyName=3M+6000+Fullface+Respirators
Have not tried it in summer or when fish are around.

SAFETY FIRST!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:25:09 PM by KenB »
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
I use the same one Ken B does..with the built-in glasses for the close-up work.

I used a half mask for a while, but when doing a lot of sanding epoxy / glass, I found my eyes were reacting to the dust.  Ignoring the irritation, I just didn't want to risk my eyes any more than my lungs.

te
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
Thank you for the advice. I tried to get a 3M mask today, but the full-face was not in stock. We checked the different filter-specs and the clerk offered me  a swedish model, lots of possible different filters, they have all the spare parts available.
Got a normal dust filter, a dust filter agains micro-particles and an organic-fumes and solvent filter. (you can combine different filters)
Inside the shop ihe mask was comfortable and I could wear my glasses. Hope that this will work.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:52:50 AM by narvik »

Offline dldobler

• Able Seaman
  • Moonbeam Widebody 21-6
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
The 3M respirator is pretty good.  For my next boat (shh!) I'm also going to buy a Fein sander with vacuum dust collection unit. 
"He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea."

http://photobucket.com/Moonbeam_build