Author Topic: Epoxy safety  (Read 11465 times)

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Re: Epoxy safety
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
Since we're on the topic, I recommend a full face mask.  When I was doing any serious sanding, my eyes did not do well at all.  A bit of work on a table saw, may not be a problem, but for any work where epoxy dust is flying around, I say protect the eyes too.   My $0.02

te
Jumbo 24' in progress.

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
You need to be clean Shavian for the resporator to completely seal.  I used to have to get certified once a year to work in asbestos abated areas.  The certification agency wouldn't certify a guy if he wore a beard or mustache.

Offline luk diver

• Chief Officer
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
 Built a Jumbo extended 2003 and either young (not) or stupid (likely) and or not sensensitive to epoxy and did build (later was Progressive epoxy and not as smelly?) no-problema we noticed. Spraying the LPU later was insane with plain respirators, WOW. Be careful guys, you might not be as lucky/stupid as us. Build fast and fish sooner(i.e.: before you become sensitizied). B & B

Offline tolman_paul

• Chief Officer
    • Ukverun Consulting LLC
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
I know this is an old thread. Here's my question: I have a beard (full, but not ZZ Top) and am wondering if these respirators work despite facial hair?  Advice/recommendations?

I grow a beard every winter, but the winters I was working on my tolman I did not grow a beard.  A respirator will not work with a beard.  And as mentioned, a full face is the best way to go.  When I was painting my boat with Devron outside I could smell the solvents even with a respirator because the fumes were being absorbed through my tear ducts.

A 3m half face respirator with organic chemical cartridges IMHO is a minimum must have for working with epoxy and any sanding you do.  When painting you should really use a full face respirator.  I hope I didn't take any years off my life by going cheap on my PPE, but I may have.

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
It has been a long time since I posted here.

Some may remember I became very allergic/sensitized to epoxy during my build of K'Marie a J24.         We  launched in 2008. We LOVE our Tolman. However, I just had to do some maint/repairs which required a fair amount of new epoxy. That was this past Sunday (2 days ago). Of course I used all the proper protection but still I had a reaction.. not fun. I just went back over to do some finish/touch-up. It was still just a hair tacky (barely 50 degree in the storage bldg). I touched some of the fresh epoxy with a bare FINGER NAIL (of course there are vapros in there). I determined it needed another day and before I could get home was already breaking out again. Insane itching of face, neck, forearms. AAAarrrgh.... This SUCKS.

It is clear I will never build another boat again. I have pretty detailed ideas of a 20' CC wide body I wanted to build too. 

My biggest fear now is that it seems like I am reacting worse with each new exposure.

So to answer the question by (sorry I can't remember right now) about the mask beard thing. Some people never get sensitized. So for them it doesn't seem to matter. I never imagined I would become allergic. It took a few months. But it became an agonizing effort to finish the build. I was not as careful/protected as I should have been in the beginning. If I could do it over again I would use all of the best protection and if I had a beard I would shave it until finished. Your beard will grow back (I had a full one for years). It turns out that once you are sensitized it is apparently forever and it REALLY sucks.

It is so bad I have worries about being able to keep our boat because it will always need maint and that is going to mean more epoxy work in the future.

PS... These last two times I have used the Ecopoxy" product which is supposed to be much less hazardous.  It does not seem to make any difference for me.
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

Offline Dave Wright

• First Mate
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

PS... These last two times I have used the Ecopoxy" product which is supposed to be much less hazardous.  It does not seem to make any difference for me.

I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues with epoxy Bob. Thank you for posting your warnings to everyone. Thank you too for mentioning "Ecopoxy." It continues to be sold at a very high price, with many claims, but its MSDS info suggests it is not without risks. Your experience confirms this. Hope you get well.

Offline penguin

• Boson
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »

I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues with epoxy Bob. Thank you for posting your warnings to everyone. Thank you too for mentioning "Ecopoxy." It continues to be sold at a very high price, with many claims, but its MSDS info suggests it is not without risks. Your experience confirms this. Hope you get well.

Yes, also sorry to hear about your allergy/sensitivity. And thanks for sharing your experience. I'm shaving the beard and going all out for safety when I get to the epoxy stages.
Rod

Offline brook

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
Unfortunatly in the last few few weeks I have joined the club. Right now its minor itching on the eyelids, easily treatable with benadril. I just bought a full face resporator and 4 tyvek suits and another box of netril gloves. Also making sure the garage is being ventilated and not hanging around if any fresh epoxy on around. This is not fun.

Offline AKExplore

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
Bob,

I too am sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues with epoxy.

It is so bad I have worries about being able to keep our boat because it will always need maint and that is going to mean more epoxy work in the future.

Maybe there is someone in your area that works on wooden boats that you could use to take care of maintenance issues?

Doug

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »

Maybe there is someone in your area that works on wooden boats that you could use to take care of maintenance issues?

Doug

Yeah Doug my wife says it's time to teach our son in law how to do it :)
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

Offline AKExplore

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Yeah Doug my wife says it's time to teach our son in law how to do it

Bob,

Now your talking, good thinking.

You have too nice a boat to walk away from.   If you are not beaching the boat on a regular basis, paying attention when docking and loading the boat on the trailer, and not dropping hard objects on the deck, maintenance could be kept to small tasks.

Doug