Author Topic: Epoxy Dust Exposure is also bad  (Read 16298 times)

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Epoxy Dust Exposure is also bad
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
All -

I take major precautions for my lungs when sanding anything and always wear gloves when working with uncured epoxy.   But I got to wondering about possible problems with epoxy dust on hands and arms.   Can cured epoxy dust also cause sensitivity?  Here's the info I received from System Three.   Guess I'll be wearing gloves *all* the time I'm working on boats.

TE

Tom,

The chemicals contained in 2-part epoxy-based products which can cause
sensitivity are more than likely still present to some degree in sanding
dust, unless the product is 100% reacted (cured) and is inert.  For all
practical purposes, users should use the same protective measures for
sanding dust as for the liquid ingredients, as outlined on the MSDS.

This includes skin protection, which includes wearing gloves, long sleeves,
etc.

Thanks for using System Three products.
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline kchace

• Second Mate
  • Brookline NH
Re: Epoxy Dust Exposure is also bad
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »
All -

I take major precautions for my lungs when sanding anything and always wear gloves when working with uncured epoxy.   But I got to wondering about possible problems with epoxy dust on hands and arms.   Can cured epoxy dust also cause sensitivity?  Here's the info I received from System Three.   Guess I'll be wearing gloves *all* the time I'm working on boats.

TE

Yes. Even though epoxy 'hardens' in a day or two (depending on temps, etc.) most all the literature I have read says full curing can take 1-2 weeks. Most of us are sanding the epoxy within that time frame. This is why breathing protection is so important - inhaling epoxy that is not truly and fully cured puts active chemicals into your lungs. Skin contact can certainly also be a way to develop issues.

Ken
Ken Chace
The Lucky C
25' Jumbo

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »
Can cured epoxy dust also cause sensitivity?  Here's the info I received from System Three.   Guess I'll be wearing gloves *all* the time I'm working on boats.

TE

I can't know for sure if it would have come ot this otherwise but after I became sensitized to the fumes I found that even the dust would cause my skin to flare up. I was careless initially and did not wear a mask, which caused some bad reactions. Later as my sensitivity became more acute even dust on my skin would cause a flare up. So from then on I always wore the mask, gloves, long sleeved shirts, and showered immediately after working on the boat.
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

Offline dinghyman

• Able Seaman
    • WoodenBoatBlog.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
I became sensitive to West System epoxy and would get rashes and start itching all over. This was after 20+ years of building and working on boats. I tried Progressive no-blush and it was like I was a new man, no more reaction at all to that stuff. I still wear gloves and a mask but with Progressive I just don't get a reaction.

I did become complacent to some degree and when I was mixing up my first batch of System III primer I didn't wear a mask. Before I even got to the point of spraying it I was coughing and itching. Next time, I used my respirator and had no problems.

These reactions build up over time. The best advice is to wear a mask and gloves and watch that dust.

;-) Paul
Make things better.

Offline caplee

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
  :)            EPOXY SAFTY.COM    work clean ??? ???  from a guy that learned the hard way.   

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
Wearing a resperator is a great idea.  When I first began my project, I never used one.  After a while I noticed that every time I worked with epoxy,  I would get a mild sore throat, that would last through the next day.  I never mix any amount of epoxy without a respirator now.  It is amazing how potent epoxy fumes are.  Since using a resperator, I haven't experienced the sore throat reaction since. 

Offline SmokinFletch

• First Mate
  • I got a boat building problem!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
I never mix up or sand epoxy in a closed up space, always with the roll up door completely open and the back door wide open. I got a huge fan blowing into the shop, creating positive pressure. I usually wear a respirator, always wear the gloves. I mix and sand in a t shirt. No problems so far.

Offline jawilco

• Boson
  • HMS Kathaleen
    • youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
yerveone ahs ffiderent tlorences to poexy. I fro noe vahe dah no ntociable feftcts.
Fear not for many have traveled this road before you.
Member since May 2004.

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:31:25 PM »
yerveone ahs ffiderent tlorences to poexy. I fro noe vahe dah no ntociable feftcts.

[/quote
your post made me laugh and laugh and laugh :D

Offline jawilco

• Boson
  • HMS Kathaleen
    • youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

[/quote
your post made me laugh and laugh and laugh :D

Thanks Adam, I feel like I've accomplished something worthwhile today !
Member since May 2004.

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:59:16 PM »

The scary thing is I could read and understand the post.  Now I am wondering about the effects 'poxy dust had on me.

Funny post.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline jawilco

• Boson
  • HMS Kathaleen
    • youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »

The scary thing is I could read and understand the post.  Now I am wondering about the effects 'poxy dust had on me.

Funny post.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

http://www.douglastwitchell.com/scrambled_words.asp
Member since May 2004.

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Yeah, my youngest daughter read about that in college and after that every once in a while she would send me emails written that way. But she said it was too much work to intentionally spell each word scrambled up.  :D
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 06:11:12 PM »
Wow, I can read that pretty well actually.

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »
I didn't do any faring, and hardly any cutting of fiberglass on my tolman. The only glass I cut was the overhang of the bottom panels off the transom and my decks, which were epoxied but not glassed until I got them installed. So I did my cutting outside, and used a 3m masks and eye protection.

Started on a seacraft restore, which has involved cutting a lot of glass, and will involve a lot of fairing (some of it upside down): http://www.classicseacraft.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=71251&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

My new safety equipment:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2180&familyName=3M+6000+Fullface+Respirators
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2192&familyName=Tyvek+Poly-Coated+Suits

best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan