Author Topic: Epoxy allergies and brands  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Boat construction pictures
    • Email
Epoxy allergies and brands
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi all,

When I started to build I developed a sensitivity to the epoxy I was using, when I went in to the shop I had to put on a respirator even if I was going to mix up as little as an ounce of epoxy. When I was finished I had to shower immediately and still I had an itchy throat and chest and a cough. When I finished the first 15 gallons, I purchased 15 gallons from a different supplier and have found a completely different result. I have no reaction what so ever to the epoxy now. I just finished glassing the cabin top and mixed up about half a gallon, no respirator and no reaction what so ever.

The first batch I used was System 3, the second batch was from J Greer. The intent of this post is to determine other  peoples experiences with epoxy sensitivity and the brands they used to see if there is a pattern.

Now I'm not saying that one is toxic and the other you can drink or that's it's OK to ignore common sense safety procedures, I'm saying there is a notable difference between the two. So if you want to post and tell me I should wear my respirator all the time, please don't bother. 
22 Jumbo Started 8/15/2009
22 Jumbo Flipped 10/22/2009

This post is hand made by the artist and therefore subject to the artists interpretations regarding spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

Offline dinghyman

• Able Seaman
    • WoodenBoatBlog.com
Re: Epoxy allergies and brands
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
I've been using epoxy with boats for more than 30 years. I am sensitive to West System but found that when using Progressive no-blush, I had no reaction at all. I did have a strong reaction to System III primer when mixing in the hardener. This was the first time I'd ever used System III. There must be something common in several of the brands that people start reacting too.

I've done three boats now with Progressive no-blush and still have no reaction. I'm totally happy with the way it works, cures, is easy to sand, has no blush and seems to be priced well. Some of the other Progressive epoxies will cause reactions, like their super thin penetrating epoxy.

I think it's good to wear protection, especially on hands and sleeves. Sanding and breathing dust is not good for you either. Buying several boxes of surgical gloves on ebay and wearing long sleeves when gluing and sanding helps. I think you may gradually start reacting to epoxies as you use them, at least that's how it worked with me.

;-) Paul
Make things better.

Offline John M.

• Deckhand
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »
I'm working on boats 3 and 4 now.  All have been built using RAKA epoxy, both fast and slow hardener.  So far no allergic reactions.  I use a respirator when sanding (shopvac attached to the sander) and Tyvek sleeves when epoxying large areas.  Nitrile gloves, always.  No problems with blush either. 

--John M.
Cottage Grove, MN

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
+1, for RAKA,  I have been using it for four years now, and no allergies.