Author Topic: BOW MOUNTED MINN KOTA TROLLING MOTOR  (Read 1587 times)

Offline AKBOUND

• Swabbie
BOW MOUNTED MINN KOTA TROLLING MOTOR
« on: May 28, 2024, 03:31:51 PM »
Hello all,

I am wrapping up a custom build and want to ensure I can mount and utilize the Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor down the road.

The question I am having difficulty finding an answer to is this....every installation I have seen shows the trolling motor base mounted on the front deck of boats that appear relatively flat, level....parallel to the water, a concern, given my forward deck where I would be mounting this has about a 10 degree up-sloap. 

If the shaft that attaches the motor/propeller to the base station can only rotate 90 degrees when deployed, because of my deck angle, the motor/propeller unit would not be parallel with the water and would likely be out of the water at times.

I tried Minn Kota's customer service chat however, before they will let you send a message regarding a product you have to provide a serial number....I have not purchased this unit yet so I have no way to communicate with them....also could not find a technical support phone number....?

I would think the shaft that supports the motor/propeller would travel beyond 90 degrees to accommodate boats with up-sloaping forward decks however, I don't want to assume anything and I certainly don't want to modify the boat after its painted down the road.....any assistance would be most appreciate.

Offline sean9c

• Deckhand
    • Email
Re: BOW MOUNTED MINN KOTA TROLLING MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 05:21:58 PM »
I don't really know anything about it but I'd think that you'd want the leg to be vertical. Just make a shim for the mount

Offline bullet

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 05:45:21 PM »
I just used the search function here and entered bow mounted trolling motor and there’s a lot of great info there you are interested in

Offline GlacierBoats

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 06:07:06 AM »
I don't really know anything about it but I'd think that you'd want the leg to be vertical. Just make a shim for the mount

Ditto.  This will allow your trolling motor to work best (line of force from the motor being horizontal to the water while trolling).  Trolling motors are wimpy ... help them out by mounting them vertically ... your battery will last longer too.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline AKBOUND

• Swabbie
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 05:16:46 PM »
Thank you for all the posts....I will make the mounting bracket so that it is parallel to the water and avoid any potential issues down the road.

Offline EasternshoreBob

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 03:30:00 AM »
Something I cobbed together for my 18.

Bob

Offline KenB

• Chief Officer
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 08:01:55 AM »
I forgot to take photos but I saw a charter boat "Baddog" in sesuit harbor (cape cod bay) this spring, set up for fluke fishing... huge minn kota on the bow. Guy loves it, has apparently paid for itself with time saved not hauling anchors. Really helps with scouting spots, as well.

Sadly, no photos on website: https://baddogfishingcapecod.com

I think it was one of these two, anyway it was huge:
https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/saltwater-trolling-motors/riptide-instinct-quest#learn-more-anchor
https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/saltwater-trolling-motors/riptide-terrova
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline Randy Zimmerman

• Third Mate
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 04:42:47 PM »
I had a 72” shaft, 36v Minn Kota on my skiff and it worked great. Just build a wedge to mount it flat and it will work great.
Saltwater Workshop Kit
21'4" Widebody
Start:1 June 2013
Flip: 9 April 2014
Maiden Voyage: 22 May 2015