Author Topic: Re: What boat would you build as practice? Kingfisher Recurve Build Thread  (Read 2621 times)

Offline JenniferWillow

• Deckhand
Re: What boat would you build as practice? Kingfisher Recurve Build Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »
OK folks, it's taken a year and I haven't posted much but I have been making a lot of sawdust.  I'm nearly done with the build and I'm finally going to post a couple of pictures.  I just finished putting on 7 coats of System Three Marine Spar Varnish and I could use some advice.  While the varnish looks good and has a high gloss I can still see some brush marks that indicate I don't quite have this down yet.  I put on 4 coats first with no sanding between coats between 12 and 24 hours after the last coat (closer to 24 hours in most cases, this was recommended by System Three).  After the 4 coats I started sanding with 320 grit followed by a red (400-600 grit) Scotch bright pad and finishing with a grey pad (about 1000 grit).  I then laid down 3 more coats with no sanding of the final coat.  But I still have some brush marks?  I'm dying to sand them out with a 1000 grit Scotch pad but that will remove most of the gloss (I may just do this anyway).  Does anyone have any suggestions to get the best final varnish coat?
     I still have quite a bit of work left to do.  For my own purposes I'm going to list the final steps:
(1) make the guide seat
(2) make front seat
(3) make rear seat
(4) make and install the step protection with the integrated cup holders
(5) make the front and rear mahogany soles (finish with Salty Dog Boat Soup from George Kirby Paint)
(6) make the central mahogany sole for under the guide seat.
(7) add the cup holder strap (steamed) on the rear knee brace.
      I got some varnish drips onto the Durbak near the transom so I'm going to need another quart of Durbak to cover this area.  There are a couple of other spots that could use one more coat because you can see wood color peaking through on the dry box sides.  Once this list is done I'm ready for the water.
     I need to buy a trailer, a boat cover and ultimately a trolling motor for this thing.  At this point in the project it may take me awhile to save up the cash for the remaining pieces.  I want to get this finished and then have a marine survey for insurance purposes.  I want to register the boat in California.  I want to place a builder plaque somewhere in the boat with all the build information (dates, designer, builder, etc.). 
      I've thought about just building the trailer myself but I'm not an experienced welder.  I can download plans for a trailer and I suspect it will save me some money even if I drop $600 or $700 bucks on a TIG welder.  My wife is pretty skeptical about building the trailer myself and doesn't want me risking the boat on a home built trailer.  It would be easy to spend $3500.00 on a new custom trailer and that will take awhile to save.  What's the best way to get a decent trailer to fit your boat without breaking the bank?
      As a final thought, thank you for letting me post on the forum.  After building this boat I can understand better why this may not have been the best forum for this.  I built this boat as "practice" to convince myself that I could build a Great Alaskan and I'm now completely confident that I can build it.  It will be a great experience as this has been.  I think the Kingfisher Recurve drift boat was perfect practice since I really got to work with stitch and glue techniques.  However, I'm more convinced than ever that you don't need a "practice" boat.  I hadn't done any significant wood working in decades and I didn't even really know if I would enjoy the work.  I really enjoyed every step (except getting epoxy in my hair once).  This really is a 1939 Bentley as one person commented.  The next boat will be a Great Alaskan in about 3 years when I move to Oregon and will have a MUCH bigger shop. 
     For those who are curious why I painted the boat "black".  It's actually a very dark green (Bronze Green) made by George Kirby Paints and it's really obvious in the sun but in shade it looks black.  I can't help thinking of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies whenever I look at it.  I really loved building this boat and I can't wait to start the next one.  I may even get a chance to build another drift boat for my brother in law if I'm lucky.

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:46 PM »
Love the paint color choice. I've always been fond of British Racing Green for same reason; green in the sun, black in the shade...

I'm fond of varnish, but don't think I've ever achieved a molecularly flawless finish with it. If it were me, I'd leave it as is. But if I was for some reason obsessed with getting it mirror perfect, I think might try 0000 bronze wool, and then finish with Johnson hard paste wax.

Now that the Bentley is built, you're ready to knock out a beater '73 F250 Highboy? :P

Offline jim shula

• Captain
    • Salt Water Workshop
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2021, 06:14:43 AM »
Good job building the drift boat.  You'll find building a Tolman to be much easier than that, and with fiberglass covering all the marine plywood, it will all be painted after it's faired.  You can go crazy with varnished teak and mahogany on the built ins though.

Offline Cordell

• Boson
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »
Wow thats very cool! <-----understatment.
    If its any consolation I doubt many people will notice the brush marks when faced with her overall beauty.  I am looking forward to seeing your G.A.

Basic welding is defanatly is not hard. There are charts to let you know what power settings and wire size for proper  penetration of your guage steel. I'm sure the boat is light enough it won't have to be perfect. Plus it might come in handy building hardware for the G.A. It would probably help to clamp or tack your frame up so you can move it around and not have to weld vertically or upside-down much.
25'  Jumbo
Start: 8/29/15
Flip: 4/9/16
Launched: 1/27/2018

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2021, 03:21:31 AM »
Hei, first my congratulations! A very fine project and amazing craftsmanship!
No worries about your skills regarding the Tolman.
Even if this is a wooden boat forum: Welding is absolutely on my to learn list. Important for house and garden owners, useful for repairs and lots of projects. So the investment will pay back in the long run.
Just make sure that you buy equipment with enough options, e.g. if you want to go over to aluminum or stainless once you build your Tolman. Building the trailer with this kind of size and weight should not be a problem. I have a trailer for my small tractor build by my neighbor, perfect and sturdy. Homemade trailers are never road legal here in Norway, but for farming, forestry and on private property, we do that a lot.
Peter

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2021, 03:37:55 AM »
And I forgot: Might be easiest to buy a used trailer in the right range and then use welding to make it perfect. Easy and cheap to get all the hardware at once and then modify and repair it in one step.if you buy something a little bit too long and wide you would not even need much extra material. And if you plan ahead even a “broken” trailer might become perfect once you reduce its size and thereby cut out any damage or weak spots. This is what my neighbor always did. Start with a “no longer legal” condemned cheap trailer, win - win. Might be as cheap as scrap metal by weight + oftentimes new tires. Beats new materials and all the alignment you have to do when starting from scratch. Peter

Offline JoeEvens

• Deckhand
 Why not build a wood trailer?. Fifty years ago they were common. Dad and I built a wooden, tilt trailer for our new 22" dory in 1968. Not a small, light boat, but a fully rigged commercial salmon troller. Put a lot of miles on that trailer, chasing salmon on the Oregon coast. YouTube Pacific City dory. We have a great fishery and community. 100+ year history, hundreds of dories, the majority are still built of wood. Renn always cheerfully credited the PC dory as the roots his Skiff evolved from. Can't miss the lineage.

Many of the '60s and '70s dories are in use today. All of our dories are flat bottom, of course, because we launch and land on the beach.

I'll be building a wood trailer for my nearly finished restoration of a 1959 20 ft dory soon. With today's torsion bar axles, it is a even simpler project. Just bolt the axle directly to the wooden frame, The frame is just 4"x6" lumber. Gusset the corners. Fill in the gussets with a small triangle piece as a knee. The tongue is also 4x6, laid flat instead of beam wise like the rectangular frame. bolt the hitch on top. Makes a nice, low trailer that doesn't rust. Just a suggestion, it would look great under that sweet little drifter you just built....Cheers, JE....Actually, 4x6 makes a good frame for a 20-22' power boat that weighs several times as much as your little drifter, way over kill. 3"x4" should be plenty, as in two, 2x4's  laminated for the frame rails..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:33:23 AM by JoeEvens »