Author Topic: Topside paint  (Read 506 times)

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
Topside paint
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
My son used graphite epoxy for bottom.  What are people using for topside primer and paint.

I used a 2 part epoxy primer from system 3 that is no longer available.  It is the hardest stuff I have seen.  My paint is flaking but primer is hard.  I will need to sand and repaint this year.  Not bad for 13 years.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Re: Topside paint
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »
I'm surprised at your comment about the S3 primer.  I just painted my Jumbo roof inside and out with a S3 primer that I bought a couple of weeks ago.  We had to mix what they called a hardener and a resin.  Interestingly, the mix is reversed -- 4 part hardner to 1 part resin, but they describe it as --

"SilverTip Yacht Primer is a waterborne, two-part epoxy coating..."

What did I miss?

te
Jumbo 24' launched Sept 2022

Offline Kobuk

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
I love the System Three SilverTip Yacht Primer. I came around to it late in the game, but if I had it to do over again I would have used it from the start.

Offline pfithian

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »
Valspar Duramax
Made It Jumbo 25
Skiffkits No. 7025 1/2009
Build Start:  3/2009
Hull Flipped: 1/31/2010
Maiden Voyage:  9/16/2011

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm surprised at your comment about the S3 primer.  I just painted my Jumbo roof inside and out with a S3 primer that I bought a couple of weeks ago.  We had to mix what they called a hardener and a resin.  Interestingly, the mix is reversed -- 4 part hardner to 1 part resin, but they describe it as --

"SilverTip Yacht Primer is a waterborne, two-part epoxy coating..."

What did I miss?

te

Maybe it is available again.  I looked about 10 years ago and it wasn’t available.  Nice to know.  I’ll look into it again. 

Edited to add,
After looking at it I believe I used a solvent based primer.  It looks like this may have replaced it.  I will give it a try.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:48:56 PM by AlasKen »
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline luk diver

• Chief Officer
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:29:16 PM »
 Used S3 primer in 2003 and sprayed oil-based LPU. Toxic as hell but sure has held up. Deck we did with Durabak (marine version of Rhino-Liner) 10 years ago and has held up well, just shows the dirt. B & B

Offline Cordell

• Boson
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
 Hi Ken!

Another happy s3 primer costomer here. Just make sure to do any sanding before it sits to long. That stuff get HARD!

We rolled and tipped Awlgrip in hopes of not having to repaint perhaps ever. Turned put great and so far so good. Most durable paint I have abused.
25'  Jumbo
Start: 8/29/15
Flip: 4/9/16
Launched: 1/27/2018

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi Ken!

Another happy s3 primer costomer here. Just make sure to do any sanding before it sits to long. That stuff get HARD!

We rolled and tipped Awlgrip in hopes of not having to repaint perhaps ever. Turned put great and so far so good. Most durable paint I have abused.

I agree on sanding early.  It got so hard sandpaper had little effect.  I will try Awlgrip when I repaint. 
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline luk diver

• Chief Officer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 04:29:52 PM »
 Highly recommend 'rolling & tipping' paints like Awlgrip (like our oil-based LPU). Spraying is TOXIC. We lucked-out when we did ours but filters were failing at the end of the paint session. B & B

Offline Cordell

• Boson
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 05:21:47 PM »
Use good PPE for sure!

We put it on with a foam weenie roller and tipped with foam brush. It would melt through a couple sets per coat. It went on  thin and flowed super smooth. Just had to keep it thin or it would sag. We were able to go back and touch up runs a few minutes later and that area still smoothed out perfectly. The grey covered great but the red took 3 coats to cover.It goes a long ways just alot of labor to get it on. Have to dry and scuff each coat.  Would have been nice to have darkend primer under the red.
   I hit the dock one time and was absolutely certain it was damaged. Quite literally not a scuff once the wood was scrubbed off the paint. Course I did manage to get through the paint in other fiascos but those mostly involved metal items.  We masked and shook some S3 sand on the shelves. Its been perfect non skid for us. Was quick and easy and is more durable than the Kiwigrip on our deck.
25'  Jumbo
Start: 8/29/15
Flip: 4/9/16
Launched: 1/27/2018

Offline Arne K

• Boson
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 08:35:14 PM »
Interlux Perfection is another good one. You can get a mirror finish by rolling and tipping and it is hard as rock.
"K-Newt": 23'-6" Widebody Pilothouse powered by Yamaha 115hp. Launched Aug 2019.