Author Topic: KenB 8 degree skiff  (Read 1471 times)

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
KenB 8 degree skiff
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
I was staring at all the rotted decks, water logged stringers, and wasp nests on my widebody, and decided to throw together a cheap 16 foot work skiff instead. Got talked into adding 8 degrees of dead rise, ala the Tolman Skiff. Took about 40 hours, or 4-6 full weekends.

On this part of cape cod,  they are called "Williams Skiffs" after George Willams, a curmudgeonly old dude who built them alone, didn't really like people, and had some secret technique for flipping them over, alone. Lots of my buddies have them, about the best mix of stability, ease of use, and low cost. Great first boat. Most 18s run with 30-40 hp. 16s can plane with 15-25hp. Always long shaft (25 inches), usually tiller. They don't do well in chop (flat bottom), but conversely they can be loaded with 6-8 adults if you need to get across a harbor (dory flare, displacement). Other names include Brockaway (CT) Skiff, Work Skiff, Lumber Yard Skiff, etc. Some guys sell them, for profit:
http://ladybugboats.com
https://www.oldwharf.com/lumbar-yard-skiff
(EDITORIAL COMMENT: These guys kind of get it wrong. The original idea was to build something cheaply with plywood and exterior house paint, run by a used 2 stoke outboard, on an illegal mooring or unregistered trailer, to be replaced every 10 years. So the whole 'epoxy paint, new 4 stroke, varnished wood' thing is a little off target. I visited the lady bug guy and his shop, he originally was selling unpainted quick built boats for cheap, but people just wanted the fancy ones. And were willing to pay for them.)

Looking through my old emails and notes, I am pretty sure Renn Tolman knew about and built these things. The Tolkan skiff, in my humble opinion, fills the spot between these boats and regular fiberglass hulls and of course completely exceeds both. So, if you are on the fence about building a Tolman, built a Tolman. If you have a Tolman, but your idiot in-laws want a boat but can't handle their own build, the 8 dgree skiff might work out. Basically, I sat down to built a Williams Skiff, but kept remembering things from the Tolman book. Used PL cement or epoxy as I saw fit. And added 8 degrees of dead rise, which makes all the difference in the world.

Notes:
- I used runners on the bottom to butt-block because I was too lazy to scarf.
- I PL'd the transom, but with the weight of a 4 stroke, epoxy is probably a better move.
- Gunnels are usually 2x6 and painted... I used Ipe or meranti decking, forget which.
- I sprayed Jamestown wetedge, but exterior latex house paint is 'period correct,' with porch paint for the interior.
- I'd imagine a 16 footer is better for Tolman folks who want to use their kicker engines... 18 really needs at least 25hp. I don't use a kicker, I used SeaTow...!
- Yes, that is Lowes A/C.

COSTS
- Lumber, paint, epoxy/PL cement ($1000-1500)
- Used 15hp ($750)
- New Trailer ($700)
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan

Offline Fletcher Poole

• Deckhand
    • Email
Re: KenB 8 degree skiff
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
I would love to build a 16footer and run my 9.9 power.
It would make a fine river fishing boat
I got a question?
Where can I find FREE plans? ;D

Offline KenB

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
Free?
https://fishyfish.com/boards/free-boat-building-plans/kenb-8-degree-skiff/?action=dlattach;attach=18573

The two things I would do differently:
- if you are going to PL the transom (instead of epoxy) throw a 2x8 across the middle.
- use the tolman transom curves. It looks so much better with the curves.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:43:04 AM by KenB »
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan

Offline Fletcher Poole

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 06:55:44 AM »
Thank you,
printed this off, I enjoy sitting in my recliner and looking at boat plans.

Online tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
... off topic.  Is that an English Yellow Lab in the top pic?  We've got 2 of them.... The blue harness one is our 6-month old pup.  She and her 4-1/2 year old bro' are in the other pic.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline KenB

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »
Yup! That's Lola, the (former) ladyfriend's english lab. They always seem to come in pairs. We found out that a german short hair puppy's favorite chew toy is an english lab... I got Lucyyy as a pup two years ago, and she still very much enjoys chewing on english labs.

German shorthair pointers are a lot work. But still somehow worth it. My mom added the extra y's to Lucyyy's name, as that's what every is always yelling.
best,
KenB

- Bruce Armstrong   

- Dave Nolan

Online tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
LOL ... Our 'little' english yellow lab thinks that big english yellows are chew toys!  But they're very bonded, love each other, and love playing together ... even if things get a little toothy :D
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 09:17:43 AM »
It is the right color!