Author Topic: west marine sale on GO12/radar... $4500 -> $3600  (Read 3324 times)

Offline KenB

• Chief Officer
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
west marine sale on GO12/radar... $4500 -> $3600
« on: September 15, 2023, 07:21:26 AM »
I have this set up on my seacraft; its the cheapest way to get radar, sidescan sonar, and transducers installed. It was a good deal at $4500, so $3600 is even better:
https://www.westmarine.com/simrad-go12-xse-fishfinder-chartpotter-combo-with-c-map-charts-active-imaging-3-in-1-transducer-and-halo-20-radar-bundle-20168977.html

- If you are used to the high end units (simrad NSS, Raymarine Axiom) then the slight screen lag is super annoying, but those systems will run you $10,000+ for the same functionality. Im an apple IOS guys, so its like using a crappy andriod tablet (because Go12 is literally a crappy android tablet). Even the old Raymarine A-series just feels more responsive.
- touch screen annoying as hell, would rather have buttons, but not for a $6000 up-charge.
- Raymarine element is the same spot in the raymarine lineup, but no radar. Furuno does not have this option in their lineup.
- The 12 inch screen is big enough to split into 4 screens; if you are fishing in the fog, then: radar, side scan, bottom scan, and gps. The 9inch is a $1000 cheaper and no simrad rep has been able to explain this; iphone is same price as ipad, but these asshats still think they can charge more for bigger screens!!!
- was very easy to install. SIMRAD phone support is pretty good too.
- seamless integration with simrad RS20 vhf, which I got at defender for $100... they now charge $400 for that same radio! Drats!
- you need to buy the GS25 GPS anntenna to overlay the radar onto the map, but I haven't really needed to do this.
- for data transfer (e.g. I need the trip milage for my records) the fastest has been just taking a screen shot...

Anyway, I like this package and would buy it again.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)