Author Topic: World's Best Sandwich - Croque Monsieur  (Read 4722 times)

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
World's Best Sandwich - Croque Monsieur
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »
Was watching  Gordon Ramsey a few months ago trying to get a burned out French Chef to recharge himself by getting back to his roots. The French Chef was instantly relaxed and happy making a Croque Monsieur sandwich. And so began my journey to taste one of these sandwiches.

Here's some information about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur

Ingredients:
A loaf of Crusty French or Italian bread.
Gruyère cheese
Mornay or Béchamel Sauce (easy to make)
     milk
     flour
     salt
     pepper
     fresh nutmeg
Good quality, thinly sliced ham.
Good quality French sweet honey dijon mustard
butter

Slice up the ham and quickly cook it in a hot frying pan to caramelize the sugars and fat. Set aside.

Make a Béchamel Sauce by making a milk and flour slurry.  Heat up a cup or so of milk or evaporated milk, and add the flour slurry. Cook slowly until thickened. Turn off the heat.  Add half a cup or so of Gruyère cheese and stir until it is melted. Now it's a Mornay Sauce.  Add salt and pepper and grated fresh nutmeg to taste.

Take two slices of bread and butter one side of each. On the other side of each smear on a good helping of French Honey Dijon Mustard. Grate a good helping of Gruyère to each slice of bread on the mustard side. Pile on the ham and close up the sandwich. Grill it in an iron skillet until each side is brown and crunchy.

Pour several tablespoons of Mornay Sauce on top of the sandwich and grate a good helping of Gruyère on top of the sandwich. Broil in the oven or toast oven until the sauce and cheese are bubbly and brown.

Eat until you pop.

Steveoh

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:34:08 PM by steveoh »

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
Re: World's Best Sandwich - Croque Monsieur
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:36:10 AM »
Wasn't all that long ago, I would have had a crack at that :'( :'( :'(

les

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »
Was watching  Gordon Ramsey a few months ago trying to get a burned out French Chef to recharge himself by getting back to his roots. The French Chef was instantly relaxed and happy making a Croque Monsieur sandwich. And so began my journey to taste one of these sandwiches.

Holy Cow... I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at it... but it sure looks good :)
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

Offline dldobler

• Able Seaman
  • Moonbeam Widebody 21-6
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »
But what of the classic and venerated Reuben, especially as rendered by Rose's deli in Portland?  I recall historic performances in the late 1960's.

David
"He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea."

http://photobucket.com/Moonbeam_build

Offline gakonasteff

• Able Seaman
  • Lucky Dog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »
 Could you send a sample up here?  I'm not sure I want to try it until I taste it ;)
Steffan
Gakona,Alaska