Author Topic: Tequilla Smoked Trout/Salmon  (Read 52660 times)

Offline chuck9982

• Boson
    • My build blog
    • Email
Tequilla Smoked Trout/Salmon
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
While in Kansas I experimented using my standard Weber Kettle Grill as a smoker.

I came up with a little marinade for butterflied trout and salmon fillets. It was inspired by a chef on the food network salt, sugar, and tequila curing salmon.

I combine about a 1/2 cup lime or lemon juice, a 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar, about a tablespoon of kosher salt, and 2 shots of tequilla. I mix it in a 9x13 baking dish and put the fillets in skin side up for 20 to 30 minutes.  Good for roughly 4 farm raised trout or 2 salmon fillets

Indirect fire on the webber with a handfull of soaked wood chips. Fillets go right on the grill skin side down for 15 to 25 minutes depending on size of fillet.  Every five minutes or so I baste with remaining marinade.

I think my father-in-law ate a 2 pound fillet by himself the last time I made it.
Chuck
Graham, WA
Building J25.2

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
Re: Tequilla Smoked Trout/Salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
Too bad you're so far away, else I'd shoot ya for eating farm-raised fish!  Just kidding... I'm going to try your recipe soon.  Sounds great!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline chuck9982

• Boson
    • My build blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Farm raised was what they sold in the commissary. Not alot of options in Kansas or Texas.
Chuck
Graham, WA
Building J25.2

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
Farm raised was what they sold in the commissary. Not alot of options in Kansas or Texas.

...I understand ...been there, done that.  :-\
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
I will be giving this a try.  The only problem I see is I have had tequila go bad so it will probably be necessary to keep testing a sample in order to ensure the marinade doesn't go bad unexpectedly.  I figure about a 2:1 ratio would be about right.  My test sample being the 2.   Yep, that sounds like a good marinade.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo

Offline chuck9982

• Boson
    • My build blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:23 AM »
To prevent tequilla spoilage and premature melting of the wife's margarita I buy it by the 1.75 and store in the freezer.

Testing before, during, and after marination is a method.

Infortunately like the Jack Daniels Pecan Pie I make the excess marinade is not consumable.

Perhaps I will add that recipe...though it does not involve fish or game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:52:05 AM by chuck9982 »
Chuck
Graham, WA
Building J25.2

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
...Infortunately like the Jack Daniels Pecan Pie I make the excess marinade is not consumable.

Perhaps I will add that recipe...though it does not involve fish or game.

Aye, but it does include alcohol so it fits nicely here as well.  I did like the sound of it and will try it soon.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo