Author Topic: Smoked Chicken  (Read 3730 times)

Offline bleach

• Deckhand
    • Email
Smoked Chicken
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »
After smoking the last batch of salmon bellies this summer I just wasn't ready to put the somker away so I started thinking of what else I could smoke.  Remembering a smoked whole chicken in the cooler over at Mr Prime Beef I ran to Costco to grab a couple.

I deboned them. (You Tube has video's of how) laid them out flat and smoked them for about an hour and a half.  Transferred them to the barbeque's top rack and set one burner on low.  The temp was about 250 deg.  Cooked for two more hours.  It made the best chicken sandwiches and chicken salad I've ever had.

I did not usa a brine or any spices, "KISS" was the way to go.

Brian

Offline gmclain

• Second Mate
  • 22' widebody
Re: Smoked Chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »
You don't even have to debone it just put it on the smoker whole. About 3-4 hours later when you can't pick the chicken up by a leg with out the leg coming off, it is done. Eat it hot straight off the smoker, best way there is to eat yard bird, turkeys can be done this way also, I usually get the one with the pop up timer in them when it pops its time to eat.
Glenn

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
Re: Smoked Chicken
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
turkeys can be done this way also,

I am going to try the smoked chicken, sounds pretty good.

With regards to gmmclains comment about turkey.

I bought one of those tall, red, round topped "gourmet" smokers a few years back when my Lil Chief finally gave up the ghost. The first thing I learned is the red smoker is no good for smoking salmon. It's way too hot. BUT I learned it is awsome for smoking turky drumsticks. Ohh maan... you can make some seriously good drum sticks at least as good or better than those you get at the state fair.

First buy a pack of Fred Flinstone turkey legs. You know the really big ones. Then I inject them with a "brine" of crab boil, or zatarains cajun or creole spice, and a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce, boiled up to create the brine. Be sure there is a somewhat salty component to what you use or add some salt. Let the brine cool back to room temp. Once the brine has cooled I then inject the legs. Coat legs liberally with a similar cajun type of spice/rub. Save the left over brine.
I like to let them set 24 hours in the fridge.

Take the legs out so they can get back to about room temp. I heat up the smoker till the chips are beginning to smoke. For chips I prefer alder for fish but for this I use hickory or sometimes a fruit wood. Once the smoker is up to temp I nuke the legs (4-6) for about 5 minutes turning half way through (save any drippings from the nuking). This brings the internal temp up prior to going into the smoker. I stick em in the smoker, basting about each 45 minutes (more or less) with the left over brine and any drippings from nuking. As for smoke, like fish, it only takes about two batches of chips to do the job. Excessive smoking will tend to make them a little bitter on the skin. I usually smoke about 2 - 4 hours or more depending on outside temp. Use a meat thermometer to check for proper doneness. These are for sure best as soon as they are done but are still great cold or reheated.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:21:41 AM by walknbob »
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR