Author Topic: Pickled Pickerel  (Read 7640 times)

Offline Mark

• Boson
    • Email
Pickled Pickerel
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
I made this years ago with fresh pickerel and for those of you who like something in the fridge to snack on it's great. I tired with pike and it was %@#*, but might work good with any firm salt water white fleshed fish. This is raw fish so make sure the brines are always cool before it touches the fish.

Cut the fish into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
Soak in a brine solution of 1-1/2 cups pickling salt to 1 gallon of water for 24 hours. (this is all done cool in the fridge)
Dump out the salt brine and soak in vinegar for another 24 hours (in the fridge again)
Dump out the vinegar
Make a solution of 4 cups vinegar, 1-1/2 cups of sugar, 8 bay leaves, and 4 teaspoons of mustard seed and boil for 5 minutes. Allow it to cool. (I put the mustard seed in a cheese cloth so you don't get all those little critters in your brine but it's up to you)
Pack the fish in jars with layers of sliced onions between the layers of fish.
Fill the jars up with the spiced vinegar, seal and refridgerate for 5 days. (of course I could never wait the full 5 days)

The book I originally got this from says it lasts for 6 weeks. I don't think there was ever any left after the first two weeks.

Enjoy

20 foot standard
The grass isn't greener on the other side. It's greener where you water it.

Offline Lyle

• First Mate
  • 21'4" Widebody. NJ South
Re: Pickled Pickerel
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:49:16 AM »
Mark,
 I think I have the same recipe. Our lake is loaded with chain pickerel. Any that I gut hooked and could'nt release went swimming in the brine.It really takes care of the bones too. Haven't had any in years but my mouth is now watering at the thought.
Remain in neutral and move on to the next target
29.5 Seabright Skiff. Start Sep2018
21'4 Widebody. Class of 2009
17'6 Kayak 2013
18' Swampscott Dory 2012
16' River Runner Strip Canoe1996
19' Strip Canoe 1995