Author Topic: Pickled Fish  (Read 8761 times)

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
Pickled Fish
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
AlasKen posted about some pickled fish and I offered to post up my recipe so here it is:

2 cups of fish, I cut mine into bite sized pieces, you can add a bit more than 2 cups but not too much more.

3/4 cup sugar

2 table spoons salt

2 tablespoons of pickling spice

1.5 cups white vinegar

3/4 cup of thinly sliced onion

Mix the sugar, salt, spices and vinegar in a quart canning jar, shake and let sit to get disolved. Then add fish and onions. You can cook the brine to help it dissolve and then put in the fridge to cool before you add the fish.

let sit in the back of the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days before eating. The fish pieces will float when first put into the jar, they will be sunken to the bottom when ready. So if they are still floating let it go a couple more days. The university of oregon says that pickled fish will keep indefinitely if stored in the refrigerator.

I make this with fresh steelhead when I catch a few I will cut up the filets into nice serving sized pieces and then use the trimmings for pickles.

I think you could do this with cod and have good results, I would try halibut trimmings, rockfish or salmon. Obviously herring is a staple for pickled fish so if you have access to them give it a try. My grandfather used to make pickled fish using northern pike, he would filet and skin; and the Y bones soften up in the pickle so you do not have to worry about them.

Good Stuff!
Jerry
Tolman Widebody Skiff built in 2011

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline Arne K

• Boson
Re: Pickled Fish
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
I love pickled herring. I didn't know it was this easy!
"K-Newt": 23'-6" Widebody Pilothouse powered by Yamaha 115hp. Launched Aug 2019.

Offline AlasKen

• Chief Officer
  • Eagle River, AK
    • Build photo's on FishyFish
    • Email
Re: Pickled Fish
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
The recipe my DiL used was similar but she added some sliced garlic and onion as well as lemon.  Her process was different in that she poured the near boiling brine over the halibut in the jars and water bath canned about 5 minutes.  So I guess these would be a canned pickled halibut or pickled cached halibut.  Water bath not long enough for pantry storage but reported to have long life in frig.  I can't say as they don't stick around very long.
Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo