Author Topic: Passable but quick striped bass fish chowder.  (Read 3608 times)

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
Passable but quick striped bass fish chowder.
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:43:10 AM »
I had done a fair amount of mucking around with fish chowders.  While the olde tyme way is to boil down your bones and scrap to get to a fish stock over night, one of my buddies came up with a way to get a chowder done on same day.

Instead of fish stock, take a package of 8 hot dogs (the saltier and oilier the better, so ball park franks are great as are Nathan's) and boil the dogs for about 15 minutes in 1/2 gallon of water, in whatever vessel you will use for the chowder. I have found that slicing little slits in the dogs helps.  Remove and eat the hot dogs.  The left over water is your "fish stock."

Just start dumping your fresh veggies, canned corn, starch, cream/milk etc. into the hot dog "fish" stock.  Dump the fillets in at the end. Should be done in less than 2 hours or so.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
Re: Passable but quick striped bass fish chowder.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
My recipe for chowder is as follows.

Boil 3 -4 large chopped potatoes in pot with just enough water to cover, and with a chopped smoked fish wrapped in a stocking, mutton cloth, or similar, bones and all, (This is optional ). When spuds are cooked, remove fish, and puree the spuds in its water, and leave overnight in fridge to set.

Next day, double up quanity with milk, add chopped oinion, handfull of corn and frozen peas, deboned fish which has been shredded, and the likes of surimi, shrimps, and calimari. (marinara, mix) Keep the quantities small as they soon add up. The addition of oysters and scallops is also good. If the smoked fish was not cooked in the first time, it is added now deboned and shredded
reheat very gently and stir often or the thickened spuds will catch on the pot.

season as required.

It can be frozen, but the starches in the spud puree will separate in the process. That can be rejuvinated with the addition of a little milk when reheating.

I often plan ahead, and boil extra spuds the night before, and add the smoked fish the next night! Saves washing a pot :D

les

Offline jawilco

• Boson
  • HMS Kathaleen
    • youtube
Re: Passable but quick striped bass fish chowder.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
fry salt pork in the pan and add onion till clear, in a separate pot boil potatoes then add the potaote and some of the water, then add a little butter, milk, chunks of fish with or without skin, salt and pepper. heat without boiling. yummy.
Fear not for many have traveled this road before you.
Member since May 2004.