Author Topic: Cedar plank salmon recipe w/Yukon Jack  (Read 6564 times)

Offline akfishdude

• Able Seaman
  • 22' widebody, Suzuki 90; wheelhouse no cuddy
Cedar plank salmon recipe w/Yukon Jack
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
You guys have to try this. I've eaten hundreds of sockeye and coho salmon over the years and tried many recipes, but this is by far the best way I have ever cooked it.  Basically, its a teryaki marinade and the fish is cooked on the grill on a western red cedar board (I just cut up an inexpensive  5' untreated fence board into 4 sections).

Soak the board in water for a few hours. Marinade the fish in the special teryaki sauce for at least 20 minutes up to 1 hour. Ingredients for marinade: 2 T vegetable oil, 1 T rice vinegar, 1 t sesame oil, 3 T soy sauce, 1 t grated ginger root, 1 t minced garlic, 2 T brown sugar, 2 T Yukon Jack (or other beverage of choice).

Preheat grill on medium heat. Put on plank and slightly char one side. Flip over board and put on salmon fillet skin side down. Cover grill and let cook on medium low heat for 20 minutes or until done.

I can't even begin to tell you how great this tastes. You just have to try it yourself. Enjoy!

Dave.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:38:26 PM by akfishdude »

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
Re: Ceder plank salmon recipe w/Yukon Jack
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
Definitely will try that ...we have about 30 more salmon to eat before next season.  Thanks!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
Wow I always though plank/board recipes were a joke.  Around here the recipe for bluefish is usually:  place bluefish on plank. Place plank and fish in grill. Cook for 30 mins. Then toss fish and eat plank.

Fresh bluefish is great, can even be eaten as sushi (tataki, like Aji), and is great in the smoker.

I will try this recipe with bluefish or striper and see how it goes.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

...Heard the same joke, but for carp.  I love bluefish BTW...

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline walknbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Officer
  • 24'5" Jumbo
    • WalknBob's J24 Tolman
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:33:58 PM »
Wow I always though plank/board recipes were a joke.  

No Way. Cedar plank grilling for salmon (at least) is great.. no joke. Just soak the untreated cedar board/plank whatever (its essentially about like a shake shingle)... in water , then treat your salmon how you would for grilling, place it on the plank on the grill. The smoke from the plank makes it awesome.  No joke
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:33:43 AM by walknbob »
WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Depoe Bay OR

Offline KenB

• First Mate
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:38 AM »
OK bob and folks. Done and done. I will report my bluefish results!
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline Mark

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
I've only got 1 salmon left but I will give it a try. Sounds different.

Not to take away from this post but this is what I normally do on a cedar plank

Sprinkle a bit of course pickling salt on the soaked cedar plank, lay the de-boned salmon fillet on the plank, grind some course black pepper on top, slice enough lemons to completely cover the fish. Cook as above. This one is quick and easy and I'm sure many use a similar method.
20 foot standard
The grass isn't greener on the other side. It's greener where you water it.