Author Topic: A good mate gone  (Read 15644 times)

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
A good mate gone
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »

Today my great friend and pain in the ass has gone to another place, where I am sure he will find comfort in some poor unsuspecting soles lap. His fight with cancer and other ailments has bought my Bob ("farts alot" - full name) to an expensive close (read $40.00 vet bill + others time has forgotten about, but I do have receipts)
No longer will I have to fight to get a forkfull of food to my mouth, keep his paws from flogging it before I can fork it, bringing home not only birds to be released inside, but mumified ones as well. I am glad he grew out of dropping wetas in my boots (live). years back, But I still check up when I remembered through habit.
I will not miss holes in my legs when refusing to leave my lap, nor the mud prints on newly washed sheets on the clothes line where he leaped onto with gay abandon from my shed roof. His insistence on putting his nose in places where it shouldn't be, ie walking on fresh laid up glass fiber, or laying on it, chasing the shavings from my thicknesser, or watching my jig saw blade from inches away. in fact machinery noises never bothered him!
But I will miss his knowing when I wasn't happy or unwell. despite his claws, and his bad breath, I would let him settle down on my lap for comfort. I will not miss his bad breath when smooching!!
We spent many hours together working on my boat and when away, call in right on knock off ( A cheap internal clock) for a comfort cuddle then off to the fridge - subtle!

Bob fartsa lot
age about 17
1 nob for a tail
couldn't walk straight
liked - most food including mine, hopping into my bath, chasing the end of the hose, catching both live and dead birds which he would bring home to show me (vocally), chasing the sun around the property for sleeping. Waiting behind my trellus gate to pounce on me, and pinching my pensils from my shed

He really did enjoy tormenting the hell out of me. I often wondered if it was his lifes ambition

dislikes - getting caged for the vets visit, whiskers beef jelly meat, and especially being removed from my lap. Everything else pales in comparison, except the neighbours dog who he would torment by pacing up and down the fence, until the dog jumped and chased him.

I really will miss his bad breath, bad manners, bad claws, his fluffs, and food flogging. I will also miss his patrolling the fence line on dusk every night, and removing him from the next door neighbours garrage in the middle of the night.

He kept me honest and on my toes, a real friend and a pain in the ass! :'(

les

Offline cgrfish

• Third Mate
Re: A good mate gone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »
Sorry for your loss.  Its amazing how close we get to a truly good dog, and how much it hurts when we lose them.  I always have loved the expression to "help me be the person my dog thinks I am", because they know the true meaning of unconditional love.   Hang in there, you will get through it....
Jumbo 25
Start 5/2013
Flip 8/30/13
Launch 6/16/15

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
Sorry but this was my cat who thought he was a dog - best of both worlds.

les

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
should of also mentioned that he was supposed to be a manx, that's why he didn't mind getting wet, but something went wrong at the factory and he came out of the production line with a "fluffy bump" more in keeping with a rabbit tail hence his name "Bob". His spine also had a twist which is why he walked funny. Believe me that did not slow him down, and he was an avid hunter, having a crack at anything that walked or flew. He was often found hiding behind the curtain "chirping at the birds in the trees.

Yes he was a mate, the last of my family living with me.

les

Offline brook

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Bummer. A great cat is a fine thing. Here is Tolman Ted keeping the mice off the build.

Offline MikeS

• Boson
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Sorry about your loss Les. Sounds like he was a great friend.

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
Sorry for your loss Les.

I had a Manx named Emma for a few years. She was perhaps the best cat I've had, even though I tired of climbing up the oak trees to rescue her. She died young from Feline Leukemia. I'll never forget her finally passing on while in my lap. Then there was Boy Kitty, and Desmo, and Stinky, and Mama Cat, and Pierre, and a few others who have passed on. I miss them all.

Steveoh

Offline kiwi les

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »
Thank you Guys. This is the second Manx I have had, and as a breed, they have a very strong personality. Bob was extra in that sense, and behaved at times more like a dog than a cat. Very intelligent, fun to play with, and at all times very trying, and always pushing his boundary limits. he also knew right from wrong, more than any other animal I have had. I have had offers of other cats to replace him, but for now I will let it stand.

les