Author Topic: Goodbye Navman and Furuno  (Read 1326 times)

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
Goodbye Navman and Furuno
« on: November 26, 2023, 07:00:42 AM »
After 18 years it’s time to say goodbye to my original Navman Tracker 5500 and my Furuno. The Furuno has vertical stripes on the screen and it’s getting dimmer as it ages. The Navman struggles to refresh making it difficult to make your way back along a track. Plus I go fishing on my friend’s boat that has modern Garmin electronics and it’s become painfully obvious that I’m just step above paper charts and a flasher.

Black Friday lured me in, and as a result I have a new Simrad NSS12 EVO3s on order. After the new year I’ll order Radar, as I recently was in pea soup fog and couldn’t see any of the several hundred boats on Tomales Bay on the crab opener until we were right on top of them.

This Simrad is maybe overkill but I’m convinced that it will payoff with increased safety and help us find fish! Big screen with help with my crummy eyesight.

In other electronic news, my 18 year old auto bilge pump suddenly died. I replaced the Rule with an Atwood. Have never had to use it but stuff happens.

Will post images of the Simrad when I get it installed.

Offline GlacierBoats

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
Re: Goodbye Navman and Furuno
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 07:37:30 AM »

Good on ya ... you won't miss the money once you start enjoying your new electronics.  Safety's worth it ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline KenB

• Chief Officer
    • KenB Tolman website (done with iWeb)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 08:23:40 AM »
I think you are going to enjoy that EVO! The radar overlay only works if you also get the GPS antenna (not sure if included with the NSS12 kit), but the side scan works with the dinky transom mounted transducer to like 60? 80? ft...

1) striped bass
2) wall of pogies (2 stipers)
3) stipers banging a pod of pogies.
best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan (RIP)

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 03:05:35 PM »
Cool! Thanks Ken!