Author Topic: Plastic nails (brads)  (Read 2689 times)

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Plastic nails (brads)
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
Love my plastic nails!

On Sat. I put on the first layer of the cuddy roof -- door skin.  No clamps, no nails to be pulled out later, no weights, etc.  Once the sheet is in place, I simply went around the perimeter with my air gun, shooting 5/8" plastic nails every 6" - 8".  Actually I started with the framing and worked out, then around the perimeter.   Done.

No worries about clamps slipping or weights sliding off.  Don't have to go back and pull some finishing nails.  Yes, I love it.

te

Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline jim shula

• Captain
    • Salt Water Workshop
    • Email
Re: Plastic nails (brads)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
Are you using Raptor nails?  I've always been interested in those, but I don't want to buy another nail gun just to drive them.  According to their website, they can only be driven by their own nail and staple guns.

Offline Arne K

• Boson
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:50 PM »
I haven't heard of plastic brads. I used stainless brads for a lot of my assemblies. They're great when putting two thin layers together because you can use longer brads than needed and easily pull them with pliers after the epoxy sets up.
"K-Newt": 23'-6" Widebody Pilothouse powered by Yamaha 115hp. Launched Aug 2019.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:30 AM »
Are you using Raptor nails?  I've always been interested in those, but I don't want to buy another nail gun just to drive them.  According to their website, they can only be driven by their own nail and staple guns.

Ditto ... I thought of using Raptor nails, but don't because of the special nail gun that you have to buy.  Is there an alternative that can use my regular nail guns (various gauges)?

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »
Yes I'm using Raptor nails. And yes I broke down and bought their gun.  Having said that, before I did  I tried some samples they sent me and found they did work in my brad gun. As  I recall I could only test one size and wasn't confident that the other sizes will work also. 

But since I now have them in several sizes, I'll fire up my regular nail gun and test fire the others.  I did ask one of the tech support guys and he wouldn't flat out say their nails wouldn't work in a regular gun.  He did think there is a good chance their cross section (square) vs. round nails might be a problem.  He also wasn't sure about the driving pressure.

Given the nature of their material, they do penetrate!  I tested some to go through 2 layers of 1/2" okome.  On the other hand it's almost impossible to pull them back out.  I suspect that they generate some heat that very slightly melts the surface and effectively glues them in.  In some test fitting, we used some to tack a piece in place.  We wound up having to get a chisel in far enough that we could get something else in to pry the piece off.

Stand by for test results.

te
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »
Normal brads are flat/square if you look closely.  Are the Raptor plastic ones round?

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
Here's the results:  18G brads fit and seem to work alright in my Porter Cable 18G gun.   The larger finish nails, 15G, I have only used in their Omer gun, since I don't have a nail gun for this size.  The pictures may be self explainatory....  whoops, too big.  I'll post pictures after I've downsized them to less than 800 KB.

te
Jumbo 24' in progress.