Author Topic: Moment of Silence  (Read 8581 times)

Offline MoPoxy

• Boson
Moment of Silence
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »
My Porter Cable 6" RO sander passed over the bar this morning. She's been with me for over two decades. Epoxy dust finally took her from me.

What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before hooking up with a hot young replacement?

Offline Dave

• Boson
Re: Moment of Silence
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
Condolences.  Dust to dust (couldn't resist that one).  Mourn just long enough for the new one to arrive in the shop.  I recommend the hotties from Germany, Bosch 1250DEVS or the Festool (can't remember her last name).
Dave in Homer
GA26 (FABDFH)

Offline mjggjm12

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
Did you check the brushes. I was grinding a lot of fiberglass once doing a stringer and transom replacment on a fiberglass boat. I put down my harbor freight grinder for a minute went to use it again and it would not start. Pulled the brushes out and they were packed solid with grinding dust. I cleaned the brushes and the brush holders out and it started up. I ground a ton more fiberglass with it and  am still using it today.

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:31:03 AM »
Hei,
I own one from Festool, Rotex. There are two sizes and I went for the smaller diameter. 125mm. Lightweight and balanced with effective dust control. Festool is expensive, especially if you buy original sandpaper and some of the extras you could get for your tool. But in my opinion it is worth the money. Try YouTube, there are some demos about the Rotex.
Peter

Offline Kiwi Jon

• Boson
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »
Festool's Rotex with extraction without a doubt.
My whole build has revolved around this brilliant piece of kit, it's fast clean and incredibly efficient, yes expensive but you do get what you pay for.
Planning, what you really should have started first rather than doing once the stuff hit the fan.