Author Topic: Michael's pump vs. AeroMarine hardner  (Read 3358 times)

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Michael's pump vs. AeroMarine hardner
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
FYI...

My Michael's pump developed a small leak in the hardner reservoir, actually between the reservoir and the valve assembly.  I wasn't able to clean up the mess for about six weeks (I won't bore you with that story), and although small and slow, by then there was hardner all over.  When I began wiping it off, the white paint came off the steel mounting bracket with it.  Perhaps others do, but I did not realize that the hardner was corrosive.  Of course once epoxy is cured, it's essentially inert.

Speaking with the AeroMarine folks, they were a bit surprised that it took the paint off.  After all they ship it out in plastic jugs and it's delivered to them in steel drums.  But they are contacting the manufacturer for information on this topic.  I expect to hear back Monday or so.

I doubt this is a "big deal" to most folks and, of course, I'm the dummy who didn't take care of the leak when i first spotted it.

As always, I can't say enough good things about either company's tech support.

te
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
Re: Michael's pump vs. AeroMarine hardner
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
I'd probably suspect the paint job more than the hardener... perhaps Michael's had something go awry in their manufacturing?

BTW, the leak between the reservoir and valve is VERY common.  Buy a rebuild kit, then take the washer that goes in their down to the local hardware and get more of them.  Don't bother rebuilding the valves themselves unless you have to - and keep the pump warm so you don't develop crystals growing all through the thing.  Make sure you check now and then to make sure the reservoir is tightened up so it won't leak....

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks, Brian.  I spoke with Michael's and they suggested that i might have tightened it too much.  They said in assembly, they just barely snug it up.  The guy I talked with is throwing a couple of washers in the mail to me.   I went to the NAPA Auto Parts store thinking they might have some gasket material, which they did, but it was too thin.  Bicycle inner-tube is called for, but of course I threw some I had out a year or two ago cuz i hadn't needed it in 5+ years.  Always seems to go that way:  Ya keep some special nuts, screws, brackets, etc around for years thinking they might come in useful, then ya finally throw them out an the next week you "need" them.
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
I hadn't heard about the business of tightening too tightly ...they only told me not to under-tighten it.  Sounds like the joint between the reservoir and valve is a little problematic. Oh well.  It's good to know that 99% of the time though, it's a cheap fix ...no rebuilds or replacements necessary.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline GS

• Third Mate
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
I would just epoxy the hole.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »

yuk yuk ...epoxy doesn't stick to plastic.

Offline cgrfish

• Third Mate
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:40 AM »

yuk yuk ...epoxy doesn't stick to plastic.

Now wait, would I build a plastic boat assembled with epoxy - nope.  But I've got (had) a dewalt drill that was pretty solid proof epoxy sticks to plastic way to well....
Jumbo 25
Start 5/2013
Flip 8/30/13
Launch 6/16/15

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
Yeah ...it does depend on the type of plastic ...

I know it doesn't stick to the plastic jugs on the Michael's pumps though ...I've popped hard globs of epoxy right off of them just by flexing the plastic.

bd

Offline Shallow Minded

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
I guess flexing it does work.  Just pealed this one off of my trash can, it's been on there for a couple years now.

Steve
23'6" Widebody launched 8/8/2015
Finished . . . ?

Offline jklistof

• Boson
    • 25 Foot Jumbo
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
I love my Michaels pump. I would build another boat just so I could use it again.
25 Foot Jumbo
Start Date: 1963
Finish Date: 2018 she floats
http://www.thegearboxguys.com/boat.htm