Author Topic: Router  (Read 458 times)

Offline Eddy C

• Able Seaman
    • Email
Router
« on: February 10, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
 Need a new router...what would you guys recommend.

Offline Arne K

• Boson
Re: Router
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
Edit. Wrong type of router. You can tell I'm not in build mode anymore.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:38:57 PM by Arne K »
"K-Newt": 23'-6" Widebody Pilothouse powered by Yamaha 115hp. Launched Aug 2019.

Offline Jim_Hbar

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
I have a Porter Cable combination unit - with a fixed base and a plunge base.  It works well as a shop tool, and has both 1/4" and 3/8" collets, but you need two hands to use it, and the workpiece needs to be large or clamped down.

The guy that helped me do the trim work on my house build, had a Ridgid Laminate trimmer, and we used it extensively for putting a champher on the trim boards, baseboards etc..  Hold the piece in one hand, and use the mini router in the other.  It's not the tool for cabinet making, but for champhering or round-over work, it is the tool to use.

Offline Easygoing

• Boson
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »
I like Bosch tools.  Usually well balanced and ergonomic.  There's higher end stuff, but probably not necessary for boat building.

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »
I replaced a Sears Craftsman that would not hold a setting, with a Milwaukee. It's ok. It's big and heavy and if I were to do it again, I'd get a smaller and lighter router such as a Bosch.

Offline tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »

Ditto on Bosch.  Rigid not bad.  Don't fart around ... buy a light little one for detail work, a mid-size for most of your work, and a mid-size plunge router (or a plunge base for your mid-size router).  I like having a router table around too.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline Cricket

• Deckhand
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
I second Brian's opinion. Midisze with fixed and plunge bases, and a lam trimmer if you can. I've been a professional woodworker for 45 years, and have used many many routers during that time. I started with, and still have this old Stanley-

It was probably 50 years old when I got hold of it in the 70's. But these days, make sure you get an electronic, variable speed with soft start. I like the Bosch midsize routers, but NOT the 1617. That one is top heavy, and the knobs are too small. Very hard to hold and feels tippy. The Bosch below on the left is a great one. The Milwaukee is the only brand I've never used, though I have other Milwaukee tools.

If you can splurge, the Festools are the best. I can't afford them though. I do have a PC 892 with plunge base that is pretty good.

Amazon has this package currently- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LASDGA/ref=psdc_552866_t2_B002LASDGK

I've used this Makita lam trimmer just in the last few days, and really like it, but a cordless is an option as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RT0701C-1-1-Compact-Router/dp/B00E7D3V4S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=makita+laminate+trimmer&qid=1583276196&s=hi&sr=1-1

Good luck!
Cricket

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 06:09:41 PM »
Yah, that's the Milwaukee I have.

Offline Lyle

• First Mate
  • 21'4" Widebody. NJ South
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »
Another Milwaukee user here. Bought from CPO tools reconned-looks, works new. As Steve said it's solid. Like the strap for one handing it. Doing a lot of surface planing -Ash, Cherry, Locust, swinging a 1-1/2 bit, working great.
 Still have my original Cman American made. Neighbor also gave me his old router table with a really old Cman mounted. They all work.
Remain in neutral and move on to the next target
29.5 Seabright Skiff. Start Sep2018
21'4 Widebody. Class of 2009
17'6 Kayak 2013
18' Swampscott Dory 2012
16' River Runner Strip Canoe1996
19' Strip Canoe 1995