Board Questions > Board Help

THOSE BIG ...

(1/2) > >>

tananaBrian:

... ADS ARE ANNOYING.  I get trying to raise moolah to support the maintenance of the forums, but those big ads that have been showing up lately take a lot of screen real estate ... can they be made like 1/4 or 1/3rd of their current size instead?  Appreciate all your service, all these years ... not trying to be a bug on the windshield :)

guldam:

--- Quote from: tananaBrian on December 21, 2020, 09:58:34 AM ---
... ADS ARE ANNOYING.  I get trying to raise moolah to support the maintenance of the forums, but those big ads that have been showing up lately take a lot of screen real estate ... can they be made like 1/4 or 1/3rd of their current size instead?  Appreciate all your service, all these years ... not trying to be a bug on the windshield :)

--- End quote ---

Trouble is donations have fallen off the charts and my hosting bills have gone up.  The ads make up the difference. Some folks give very generously and I greatly appreciate that. Being that I've been unemployed over a year, I can't afford to make up any difference. I will look and see if I can reduce the ad size though. These ads are supposed to auto adjust to fit the space.

Jim gives generously as he sells kits. Another guy who sells kits used to give a portion when he sold a kit, but no longer does. Are you selling plans?

Carry on.

tananaBrian:

--- Quote from: steveoh on December 21, 2020, 10:15:18 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Trouble is donations have fallen off the charts and my hosting bills have gone up.  The ads make up the difference. Some folks give very generously and I greatly appreciate that. Being that I've been unemployed over a year, I can't afford to make up any difference. I will look and see if I can reduce the ad size though. These ads are supposed to auto adjust to fit the space.

Jim gives generously as he sells kits. Another guy who sells kits used to give a portion when he sold a kit, but no longer does. Are you selling plans?

Carry on.

--- End quote ---

Understand completely.  It looks like the ads are going beyond where they should.  First topic in the forums is below the halfway point on my monitor (Chrome browser).

I don't sell anything Tolman related, FYI, but I do in fact refer people to the Tolman design and forums when they want a boat smaller than mine.  As for cash flow, I'm IN THE HOLE this year ... by a few hundred bucks ... mostly because the software that I need had to be renewed (AutoCAD, Rhino 3D CAD s/w).  I'm not in it for the money.

Brian

guldam:

--- Quote from: tananaBrian on December 21, 2020, 01:58:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: steveoh on December 21, 2020, 10:15:18 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Carry on.

--- End quote ---

Understand completely.  It looks like the ads are going beyond where they should.  First topic in the forums is below the halfway point on my monitor (Chrome browser).

I don't sell anything Tolman related, FYI, but I do in fact refer people to the Tolman design and forums when they want a boat smaller than mine.  As for cash flow, I'm IN THE HOLE this year ... by a few hundred bucks ... mostly because the software that I need had to be renewed (AutoCAD, Rhino 3D CAD s/w).  I'm not in it for the money.

Brian

--- End quote ---

For now I've removed the ads from the Forum. Google saw fit to resize the ads to their own design. Will go back to ads for non-registered members and lurkers, and rework them in the Adsense setup. It's a big pain in the neck, but they do contribute to keeping this place a float.

In the past, some years donations completely paid for the hosting, some years not so much. But it's a labor of love, and I still feel obligated to pass on the word, as Renn and his design has given me much pleasure over the years. Also, I've met the nicest folks on the forum, and that's pretty great.

It's never been about money for me, but I just can't afford to foot the bill. Fishyfish is hosted via SiteGround after having ditched Bluehost after a bunch of years. Siteground is more reliable, much faster and have a better tool set for blocking spammers, and hackers, and has a weekly scan for malware. Bluehost did not and held my account hostage after a directory came up with malware, that I believe came in from their side. SiteGround was however an upgrade in cost also.

And so it goes in a topsy turvy whackadoodle world. Carry on.

TFreeburg:
And so, coach, TELL US ALL HOW WE CAN SEND IN OUR ANNUAL CONTRIBUTIONS!!
Do you have A PayPal or Venmo name?
A mailing address for bags of silver and gold?

What I get out of this group is priceless.
You other Tolmanites, what say you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version