Author Topic: Working on a Tolman Skiff App  (Read 250 times)

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
Working on a Tolman Skiff App
« on: February 25, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
I'm busy taking a React.js / MongoDB full stack developer course, and have the beginnings of a Tolman Skiff App.  In the past when I added static html pages to Fishfish.com I did manually, and had a individual page for each project. Well, it's going on 20 years and I'm too busy to keep building static pages. So, I've wanted to have a Tolman Skiff projects app for a long time. It has a MongoDb database behind it and React.js in the front end. It's all Javascript, and super fast and efficient. I'm thinking of using one of the TolmanSkiff.xxx domains I've been paying for a long time. Currently they all point to Renn's old site, or to Colin Tolman's site. Bit of Redundancy there.

So far I have views for All Tolman Skiffs, which is essentially a collection of all flavors, and for individual skiffs. I have a form view of creating a new Tolman Skiff, a editable form view, and delete functionality. If you are a developer, then you understand CRUD. ( create, read, update, and delete).

But... before I get too far along, I realize that what data I collect and show may not jibe with what other folks might like to see.  So what might folks like to see on such a site? Fishyfish will remain until the cows come home.

First pass has been to keep it simple:

Owner Name:
Builder Name:
Model Name:
Start Date:
Finish Date:
Build Complete?
Stock Length:
Custom Length:
Picture Url:
Picture Description:
Description:

For now pictures are either already hosted on Fishyfish or externally. I will work on a image upload.

Todo: User Register and Login to create and edit skiffs.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steveoh

Offline larspa

• Third Mate
    • Email
Re: Working on a Tolman Skiff App
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:21:21 AM »
A bit more on your goals, please. Is this to essentially replace fishyfish without retiring it, or to augment it?  Would this new one support the conversations/threads as fishyfish does?  Perhaps your intent here is to provide a place more tailored to a building chronicle type thing?  Were you hoping to avoid our fishyfish profile, expecting to have them to complement each other?

However to answer your question:  I would like to see a field for location.  I'm not talking street address, i.e. not something for a GPS unit, but a general location.  Examples:  coast of Maine, (or in my case) Hood Canal, Bend, and so on.  Pretty much like it is on our profile section.  Also, I would like to have the option to use "like" or "agree" for example as you can on Facebook.  (ouch) Now we can of course just put in a brief or one word "reply".

So there ya go, the dreaded requirements creep.   ::)
Jumbo 24' in progress.

Offline guldam

• Administrator
  • Chief Officer
    • Fishyfish.com
    • Email
Re: Working on a Tolman Skiff App
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
A bit more on your goals, please. Is this to essentially replace fishyfish without retiring it, or to augment it?  Would this new one support the conversations/threads as fishyfish does?  Perhaps your intent here is to provide a place more tailored to a building chronicle type thing?  Were you hoping to avoid our fishyfish profile, expecting to have them to complement each other?

However to answer your question:  I would like to see a field for location.  I'm not talking street address, i.e. not something for a GPS unit, but a general location.  Examples:  coast of Maine, (or in my case) Hood Canal, Bend, and so on.  Pretty much like it is on our profile section.  Also, I would like to have the option to use "like" or "agree" for example as you can on Facebook.  (ouch) Now we can of course just put in a brief or one word "reply".

So there ya go, the dreaded requirements creep.   ::)

This is first a task I've given myself to update my software skills. So far I love it, because it will allow folks to create, read, update, and delete (CRUD) their own projects as they see fit. I am disappointed I did not keep up with all the new builds on the static Fishyfish builder pages. But it is labor intensive, and I have a gazillion other things on my plate. Same thing could be done here on the forum, but I kind of like a stand alone page, and website.

I appreciate any and all feedback and desires...

Here's where I currently am. Screenshot of All Skiffs, and Skiff detail. I am able to use standard CRUD operations. The app is updating on the fly, so that if ten people are looking at the complete collection of skiffs, and someone uploads a new one, this is reflected on all open browsers pointing to the same view.

It is doable to add a like button, and a field for location. That's pretty easy. Up next is for folks to register and login, so that content is protected from casual hooligans...