Author Topic: 20' Standard is done! Kachemak Skiffs  (Read 5615 times)

adam_kondrashoff

Re: 20' Standard is done! Kachemak Skiffs
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »
Anthony,

How much EZ-Poxy did it require to put two coats on the main hull?  The EZ-Poxy web site auto-calculator for a 22' Jumbo says only 3 quarts to put 2 coats on the boat... seems low to me.

Brian

Hi Brian,  I painted my whole Widebody 23' with about a gallon of Easypoxy, and there is still some paint left in the can.  This is great paint, it rolls on very thin, and covers really well, you wont be dissapointed. 

Online tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »
How is it for hiding defects?

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Offline AnthonyLyndaker

• Able Seaman
  • Blackened arms from the elbows down!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
Pretty good for hiding defects...of course the white isn't as good for that.  The light gray inside is great.   This boat has about a 10-15 ft. finish...of course I only faired once and I know that if you want to burn through epoxy, sandpaper, and time you can spend 2 weeks fairing! My uncle sold his unfinished 22' to a guy in Homer and the guy spent almost 1/2 the winter fairing, because he wanted a perfect finish.    Most of these open standards are workhorses and most of us Alaskans realize that you will beat the snot out of your skiff on one dipnetting weekend!  I would hate to spend an extra 50-100 hours on the skiff if I knew in one summer the skiff would be filled with flopping fish, squirmy kids, and halibutt guts!  Use 'em! That's what they are made for!
32' Snowball
26' Super Jumbo
25' Super Jumbo
26' Jumbo
23'  Jumbo
22' Widebody
20' Standard x 3
18' Standard x 2
13' Ladybug

Online tananaBrian

• Captain
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
You're a perfectionist!  I saw the boat up close and I'd call it a 2-foot finish, not a 10-15 foot finish!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

adam_kondrashoff

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
How is it for hiding defects?

Brian

I gave my boat the work boat finish, and I am very happy with the way the paint and primer system covered imperfections.  I used gloss white for the hull and topside, and pearl grey for the interior deck.

Offline AnthonyLyndaker

• Able Seaman
  • Blackened arms from the elbows down!
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
Yes, Yes, boys...Renn corrected me yesterday on my faulty gas mileage!! Seems that you "might" be able to squeeze out 8-10 mpg with extreme care on the throttle the perfect seas, a 4 stroke,  and very little weight!  I stand corrected and no more believing the friends who claim they get 15-20 mpg in a tolman standard...not gonna happen.
32' Snowball
26' Super Jumbo
25' Super Jumbo
26' Jumbo
23'  Jumbo
22' Widebody
20' Standard x 3
18' Standard x 2
13' Ladybug