FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
October 31, 2014, 01:42:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Hey you, the one who isn't registered! How come you haven't registered? Come on in, register. Stay a while. Build a boat. Contribute!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moorings  (Read 1312 times)
walknbob
Global Moderator
Chief Officer

24'5" Jumbo

« on: May 03, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »

I have been searching online and can’t find any info, rules, regs etc… on this subject.
Does anyone know anything about establishing a mooring just anywhere along the Alaska coast (or even elswhere)? I am thinking about establishing a mooring off the beach at Anchor Point out in front of our cabin (sorry it’s not a cabin it’s a cottage so I am told  Smiley ) The idea is to drop about a 30 gallon drum of concrete with line and buoy out past the lowest low tide line. Then of course go out with a raft to the boat leave the raft then come back tie off the boat and take the raft in.. you know the drill.

I have just not found any kind of info on rules about this sort of thing.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:18:00 PM by walknbob » Logged

WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Anchor Point Alaska
The risk of collision became an issue the day the second boat was built.
kchace
Second Mate

Brookline NH

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »

There are plenty of rules around here, but I believe it is state-specific. Does Alaska have a state agency that is involved with marine safety or regulations? If so, I'd start there.

Ken

Ken Chace
The Lucky C
25' Jumbo
KenB
Second Mate

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »

pirate moorings are the best. My understanding is that it is not even state by state... that the harbor master ultimately is in charge.

That said, I think there are restrictions based on using correct tackle down below. For example, we had to have a mushroom anchor of a certain size, base on the size of our boat. Those might be statewide.

best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan
AlasKen
Second Mate

Eagle River, AK

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »

It might be better to ask forgiveness than permission.  That philosophy has stood my son well for years. 

Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

I was thinking the same thing  Cheesy  You aren't going to be in shipping lanes, and I've seen moorings off the coast around Soldotna.

It is Alaska after all Cheesy
walknbob
Global Moderator
Chief Officer

24'5" Jumbo

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »

It might be better to ask forgiveness than permission. 

That is pretty much what I was thinking.

WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Anchor Point Alaska
The risk of collision became an issue the day the second boat was built.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com