FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
September 21, 2014, 12:07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: If you are a spammer, I will hunt you down, rip out your liver and feed it to my chickens.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lobster trap puller  (Read 28406 times)
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« on: November 29, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »

I'd like to build a lobster trap puller and davit for the boat for next year. Since I'm way too lazy to pull traps by hand, i'd like to put together a motorized system of some sort. I have a motor with a horizontal shaft and was wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts as to how to go about either adding a clutch or reduction gears etc. Do I need hydrolics or can I get along without? I have no experience with these systems so any ideas are welcome.
thanks.
Jimw

Fear not for many have traveled this road before you.
Member since May 2004.
caplee
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »

Grin
There all pricie  take a look at Quality Products Northwest/or kolstrans (spelling?) there first class.you may get some ideas.
         LEE
Craig F
Deckhand

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »

I have aa ACE Pot Puller.  We use them for shrimp pots in Prince William Sound.  A bit spendy, but i sure like it and it saves the arms when we are down 400 feet.  Craig F.
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »

I need to get a pot puller!  I've dropped my 2 pots, each weighted with 4# of lead, plus 4# of lead on the line to 600' and have pulled them twice by hand.
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

so far I have a double ended mandrel/axle withs two pillars for 50 bucks and a 6" pulley for 20 bucks.
I need a 3/4 bore smaller pulley for the motor shaft, a v-belt, and a capstan for the working end.
The whole system should cost about two hundred and fifty excluding 5hp motor.
I hope that the 6" pulley slows things down enough to be effective.
all said and done it's probably cheaper to buy the ready made electric type for less than a grand.
Of course buying the electric one wouldn't be this much fun.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:11:04 PM by jawilco » Logged

Member since May 2004.
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »

OK, throw everthing out the window and enter Gear reduction drives and Capstans.
Stay tuned.

Member since May 2004.
steveoh
Administrator
Second Mate

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »

I need to get a pot puller!  I've dropped my 2 pots, each weighted with 4# of lead, plus 4# of lead on the line to 600' and have pulled them twice by hand.

hah, and my crew complains about 21 lb crab pots in a 120 feet of water with an eight foot swell. Wimps.  Come on over here and crew for me Paul. I've got my eyes on some shrimp pots that I want to fish in about 600' of water....

I have a lovely manual davit. Will bring beer and the world's largest carnitas burrito.

steveoh

22' Tolman Jumbo - Started 2/9/2002 Launched 9/4/2005
97 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 CTD, Auto. 200k. Biodiesel, Home ground #100 Plate, K&N, new balljoints, Bilsteins, High Performance Diesel Transmission
Expense Report Automation
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »

I didn't say I had any desire to hand pull again  Angry  The worst part is both sets resulted in a dozen shrimp for each pull  Shocked  It wouldn't be so bad if the pots were over flowing with shrimp.  Actually on the second set we'd holed up during a gale and I half hoped the storm had blown the pots away so I didn't have to hand pull them  Tongue

And to think I was planning to get more pots so I could drop a limit of 5 pots.

If I keep the boat I'm not sure what the foremost upgrades will be, a Furuno fish finder is looking like #1, and a wallas heater #2, I guess that puts the pot puller #3.
AlasKen
Second Mate

Eagle River, AK

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »

Have you tried the Mr. Buddy propane heater.  I know that they are supposed to get more moisture in the air but people I have talked to who use them swear by them.  They are relatively cheap, easy to move around where you need the heat, have the ability to mount to a bulkhead, and have an oxygen sensor to auto shut off, (although you don't want to count on it).  I have limited space to have a built in heater.  The main cabin is pretty much off limits as I don't want to give up seating area so it would mean installing in the cuddy.  I know that others have done so, including Renn.  I don't do much extended fall camping so I am usually trying to take the chill off while fishing.  I use one of those Coleman propace catalytic heaters, (the one with the round heating surface) and it works pretty well.  I usually have a couple of windows cracked so moisture hasn't been a problem.  It will last all day with a 1 lb bottle.  Just a thought.

Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »

Moisture is one of the things I want to get rid of.  We have a serious condensation issue when we sleep on the boat, add to that kids that just have to get sopping wet and we need something that get's rid or the moisture.  I have the perfect spot to locate a heater, and with the combo of being able to cook on it, it seems like the way to go, just expensive.
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »

Reduction gear rigs = huge money. This idea has been officialy canned.
Back to the pulley / axle idea.
I picked up a 2 inch pulley with a 3/4 keyed bore for the motor side. this cuts the rpm's to 1/2.
I think I'll probably need to reduce this again to get a reasonable speed on the windlass.
Ordered a capstan and folbe block, want to see how these work out.
I'm told that some people use the capstan alone directly driven from the crank shaft. That will be a last resort.

Member since May 2004.
JMB
Third Mate

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »

Don't forget to have a knife sheathed to leg at calf.  Just in case the line between buoy and lobster/crab trap becomes in contact and wound up with you appendage.  Just another safety feature for off shore trappin.
Good luck with trap puller apparatus.
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »

Good advice on the knife. Thanks.

Member since May 2004.
steveoh
Administrator
Second Mate

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »

Over the years I've seen multiple reports of recreational boaters getting their props caught in crabpot lines from silted in old heavy commercial pots, and getting their stern pulled down just as a wave overtakes them. It's not a pretty picture.  I keep a knife strapped to my davit, and have other knives strategically placed all over the boat for such situations. I also have my leatherman strapped on at all times and recommend my crew carry a knife.

Just the other week a couple fellows were out on the ocean and they got caught by a big wave and the boat turned turtle. They were inside their zipped up canvas pilot house and were later found drowned. I wonder if they'd of had a chance if they had knives on person.

Gonna order some more orange handled knives.

steveoh
Don't forget to have a knife sheathed to leg at calf.  Just in case the line between buoy and lobster/crab trap becomes in contact and wound up with you appendage.  Just another safety feature for off shore trappin.
Good luck with trap puller apparatus.

22' Tolman Jumbo - Started 2/9/2002 Launched 9/4/2005
97 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 CTD, Auto. 200k. Biodiesel, Home ground #100 Plate, K&N, new balljoints, Bilsteins, High Performance Diesel Transmission
Expense Report Automation
jawilco
Boson

HMS Kathaleen

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Capstan and block arrived today (Massachusetts).
I ordered them from go 2 marine in Washington two days ago  (cheapest rate).
That's pretty quick if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:45:39 PM by jawilco » Logged

Member since May 2004.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com