Gas tank/filler hose/vent config. for center console?

(1/6) > >>

MarkNY:
hi, id like to use a belly gas tank in a center console. i plan to align the connections(filler hose/vent line) coming out of the tank with the center console. having these connections coming up into the center console. but i cant figure out how to get these lines to the side hull of the boat and up to the shelves without going up over the deck. any suggestions? only thought i had was to raise the deck with spacers on the stringers and then drilling through the spacers to run fuel lines underneath the deck. dont want to cut into the structural stringers and dont want to raise the deck unless i absolutely have to. any ideas? hope im making sense with my words. thanks alot, mark

walknbob:
Quote from: MarkNY on November 25, 2008, 10:32:05 PM

but i cant figure out how to get these lines to the side hull of the boat and up to the shelves without going up over the deck. any suggestions? only thought i had was to raise the deck with spacers on the stringers and then drilling through the spacers to run fuel lines underneath the deck. dont want to cut into the structural stringers and dont want to raise the deck unless i absolutely have to. any ideas?

Hi Mark

I tried to come up with a way to do what you are talking about. My solution was to run my lines back to the splash well. Here are some pages that might give you some ideas.

http://www.fishyfish.com/walknbob/ourboat/day_112.htm

http://www.fishyfish.com/walknbob/ourboat/day_115.htm

http://www.fishyfish.com/walknbob/ourboat/day_129.htm

http://www.fishyfish.com/walknbob/ourboat/day_141.htm

jim shula:
Mark,

I drilled 1 3/4" holes thru both port and stbd stringers to run fuel lines, steering cable, control cables and wiring from my center console to the motor etc.  After passing thru the stringer, they travel up the sta 6 framing in an enclosed chase up to a sub-shelf along the underside of the of the shear deck.  The only place these cables and fuel line show is at the transom where they exit the shelf and run to the motor. 

As Bob says, you can run these things thru a chase under the deck between the stringers back to the transom, but in my boat with a belly tank between the stringers, I had no room in there for a chase.

Cutting a hole in a stringer doesn't weaken it as long as you leave 2" of wood above and below the hole.  Any good plumber will tell you that.  For peace of mind, I backed up the stringers' holes on both sides with 16" x 3/4" ply glued and glassed to the stringer.

The problem I foresaw with running a pipe chase under the deck to the transom where it elbows up to the motor is keeping water out of the chase.  It seems like once it gets in, it's there until it dries out unless it can drain into a sump area at the transom.   My boat has a sealed deck and no sump.  This way I don't need a bilge pump which was a prime consideration when planning the layout.

jim shula:
Mark,

I just re-read your post and saw your question about the filler tube.  I didn't bother routing that thru the stringer because it would have required too large of a hole.  I mounted it in a recess in the seat in front of the cc instead.  see pic  It's the oval area on the port side of the cc seat.

walknbob:
Quote from: shoes on November 26, 2008, 09:51:08 AM

The problem I foresaw with running a pipe chase under the deck to the transom where it elbows up to the motor is keeping water out of the chase.  It seems like once it gets in, it's there until it dries out unless it can drain into a sump area at the transom.   My boat has a sealed deck and no sump.  This way I don't need a bilge pump which was a prime consideration when planning the layout.

I can see your point if you are planning on a sealed deck. Since I had planned for a bilge then water wasn't an issue. But if you have a fuel tank below a sealed deck it seems it would be hard to know if you had a fuel leak as it would be in a confined space with nowhere to drain or fumes to escape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page