FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
October 21, 2014, 10:42:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Join the Fishyfish Forums and see the missing images that you are not seeing by being a lurking non-member.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery boxes  (Read 1832 times)
AlasKen
Second Mate

Eagle River, AK

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, I spent 8 hours in the rain Saturday with a heavy load.  We had 5 in the cabin and I was sitting and reclining in the cuddy.  We had the scupper plugs in and probably had about a gallon or so water on deck from the rain and rinsing blood etc.  Even with all the people up front the water never got over 12" from the transom and stayed on the corner that was lower depending on where people were sitting.  I have a 62 gal (55gal actual) belly tank that starts about 16" from the transom and extends about 7'.  I sloped the deck about 2" over 7'.  You don't notice it on the water but your feet stay dry.  I have an additional 3" lip on the doorway leading to the main cabin.  The water will need to get pretty deep to enter the cabin.  I also put in a drop board in the cuddy opening to slow the flow of water if I ever did have water enter the cabin.  I have a 1" plugged hole in the main cabin that drains to the bilge with bilge pumps. You can see the edge of the drop boards in this photo.  It supports the front edge of the filler for the cuddy for a sleeping platform.

Kenneth Dodson
Crystal Dawn
24' Jumbo
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

Here's my battery intstall.

The battery switch is just in front of the batteries.  I tried to keep my cable runs as short as possible, even though I upgraded to 4/0 cable throughout.  I didn't have a proper crimp tool, so used a nicopress swager, then soldered each fitting.  I'd gotten the optima battery for my toy truck, but ended up getting rid of the truck shortly after purchasing the battery, so got the cheapest possible battery for the truck and kept the optima for a starting battery, then got a marine battery for the house battery.  I was going to go with an optima marine battery, but costco raised their prices so I figured the conventional marine battery for $60 was ok vs the $160 optima.

The charging relay and fuses are nestled down under the switch.

Another view showing the ground strap.  Just aft of the ground strap is the main fuse on the positive line that runs to the engine.

And here is where you access the power switch at the helm.

I still need to build a cover for the batteries and complete my cabinets.  I put together a list of items to finish on the boat, it's suprising long, and not complete!  I did manage to add the s/o valve to the fuel system and relocate my transducer last night, so made a little bit of progress.
dldobler
Able Seaman

Moonbeam Widebody 21-6

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »

Thank you, Paul, for the pictures.  I am planning a similar installation and placement.  I've got a breaker for the run to the panel next to the master switch.  And I've got the beater-crimper for lugs and frustrations.

David

"He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea."

http://photobucket.com/Moonbeam_build
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com