FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
April 25, 2014, 03:37:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Life is Good! Build a Tolman Skiff and make it better.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will $5 a gallon gas prices reduce your boating and fishing?  (Read 2235 times)
HUSKER GA-28
Deckhand

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »

Brian,
Excellent analysis of our current energy situation. Having been involved in the petroleum industry for many years, sold out 3 years too early (faulty crystal ball), I agree with the idea of drilling more and starting quickly. Most of the resistance to drilling, where the most oil is available, is politically motivated or people that don't understand that drilling in an enviromentally responsible way is possible. KenH

Great Alaskan - Prince Rupert - 28'
Ken
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »

I don't think anybody is saying "wreck the environment so we can drive SUVs", which is the impression that some like to give.  The fact is, and anybody who's been up north can attest to this, we DO know how to do what we need to do in an environmentally friendly way.  And I believe that's a good idea.  Back during Clinton's campaign, the whole concept of Peak Oil (predicted in the '50s, expected to occur around 1995 originally) where the growth in demand exceeds the growth in supply while at the same time demand exceeds supply, was discussed.  The environmentalists, via partnering with Democrats (sorry ...but gotta call a spade a spade), succeeded not only in legally blocking every good area that we had, but also prevented growth in our electrical power generation infrastructure and our refining capabilities infrastructure.  And now Peak Oil is solidly in place and cannot be argued.  I remember Clinton saying "Drilling won't help ...it won't even get oil online for 10 or more years!"  So guess what ...10 years passed, nothing changed, and what was predicted was monitored, nothing done, and voila!  Here we are.  I blame the Clinton administration the most, and the Bush administration as well... although Bush did try now and then (shot down by a democrat congress.)  And now Obama says "Drilling is not the right answer!  It won't even help for at least 5 to 10 years! We should focus on alternative energy!".  Well, alternative forms of energy are fine but even further out, and what but what about those airplanes, trains, and ships that MUST operate if we all want to eat and conduct business?  We have shorter term needs that cannot be addressed by electricity and hydrogen or propane or natural gas or hybrid-anything etcetera.  Better late than never, we need to put the rush on oil and refinery development NOW, and we need to get our electrical infrastructure up to snuff NOW, else we'll really screw the pooch and shove ourselves right into a deep recession or depression (as though there aren't enough financial pressures already.)  The goal is NOT to become oil-independent, although going in that direction is super good, but the goal instead is to address the fact that demand exceeds supply and will continue to (along with screaming oil prices) until economies (ours) become depressed and oil demand dramatically drops off ...along with jobs, homes, food, you name it.

Brian

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
Davw Wright
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »

I'm thinking high gas prices will produce an all around improvement in the type of boating I do.  For example, the wife and I went out for exactly 4 hours this morning and used just over 3.5 gallons.  The motor was running continually except for two instances where I shut down for a minute or two to clear weeds off the prop.  Most of the time we were plugging along at 1500 to 2000 rpms, she was taking pictures of birds, interesting waterfront homes, scenery etc.  On 5 occasions we opened it up for a few minutes to cover a couple of miles fast at 5000 RPM.  Pretty much the economy of a displacement boat with plenty of speed available for short runs.

We had a very good time on 3.5 gallons, but best of all  was the boating environment - one other guy was ahead of us at the normally very busy ramp.  I noticed wake from ski boats only twice, and only saw 4 ski boats and one PWC.  It was a glorious sunny, warm, week day morning, and the regular complement of noisy, impolite, young power boaters on summer vacation was nowhere to be found.  The ramp was just starting to see some activity when we returned, but nowhere close to normal high summer usage.

There just might be a blessing in high gas prices, if you have the right boat and can be content with modest boating.

Dave Wright
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

How old are the PWC and jetski type boaters typically?  Nearly all of the unemployment increases in the last several months (and more coming with the July 24th federal minimum wage hike) is due to people in their late teens losing their jobs ...something like a full 4% or 5% of these people have lost their jobs (remember the late April 0.5% jump in unemployment?).  Maybe the increases in fuel, commodity, and wage requirements is killing off the small businesses who can only afford to pay low wages?  I guess you can't clog up the boat ramps if you don't have the gas to get there 'cuz you don't have a paycheck to buy it!

BTW, I saw an interesting conversion (or kit?) the other day ...a snowmachine converted to a 3-wheeler for the road!  This thing was driving a single rear wheel and it looked like the front two wheels steered like the skis normally do.  The guy driving it was cruising right along with everybody else on the highway... cool.  Motorcycle in the summer, snowmachine in the winter!  Now if they had a kit that would make it work as well as a 4-wheeler, then that would be great!

Brian

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
tolman_paul
First Mate

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »

Brian,

Is this what you're talking about? http://spyder.brp.com/

Folks at the ramp at Whittier were mentioning how it wasn't as busy, figuring the fuel costs were cutting into folks heading out. 
chuck9982
Boson

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »

I have seen one of those spyders cruizing around the University of Akron. 

Chuck
Graham, WA
Building J25.2
Davw Wright
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »

I guess you can't clog up the boat ramps if you don't have the gas to get there 'cuz you don't have a paycheck to buy it!.........

Brian

It's mean spirited of me to reflect that high gas prices may be freeing up the launch ramps a bit.  I think I get the attitude because of the seemingly endlesss increase in folks moving to the Puget Sound area: tens of thousands per year for more than the last decade.  Ramps get improved but the number of ramps doesn't seem to increase and parking can be inadequate on weekends, and always inadequate on nice summer weekends and holidays.  Ramp fees increase but that has little effect.

The movement to this area is irrational given the increasing cost of living here, but that's the way it has been in California too, only to a greater degee and for longer, so logic doesn't prevail.  I guess the only rational response I can have is to move to a less populated area.

Dave Wright
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »

Brian,

Is this what you're talking about? http://spyder.brp.com/

Folks at the ramp at Whittier were mentioning how it wasn't as busy, figuring the fuel costs were cutting into folks heading out. 

I must have been ...I Googled around last night and didn't see any snowmobile-to-trike conversions available anywhere, although I did find one guy who converted one to a quad.  I guess that what I saw was probably the Spyder.

Brian

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com