FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
July 31, 2014, 11:44:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Fishyfish Forums are good for all boat building projects.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY-push pole  (Read 4063 times)
ebbtide
Swabbie

Email
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »

DIY-push pole solution, turn any 1 ½” or 1 ¼” wood dowel (closet rod) in nice, durable push pole at a fraction of the price of anything out there, made from indestructible HDPE plastic, resistant to uv, solvents, chemicals, saltwater, anything !!, legs on foot end are s.steel pinned and epoxied for strength.
Both foot and spike ends with s.steel tips, both bodies are recessed bored 1 ¼” deep for rigid stability and have self-centering/self-tapping s.steel  threaded hardware,-very strong!!, just add your own dowel rod-twist it on, apply set screw and your done..
$45.00 shipped (Paypal) or check, email   -rustyhook at inbox.com for orders/info.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/pizlpicts/ppssoftbswpole001.jpg

steveoh
Administrator
Second Mate

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »

Hey Rusty Hook, are you building a Tolman Skiff ? Or have you built a boat?

Just curious,

SteveOH

DIY-push pole solution, turn any 1 ½” or 1 ¼” wood dowel (closet rod) in nice, durable push pole at a fraction of the price of anything out there, made from indestructible HDPE plastic, resistant to uv, solvents, chemicals, saltwater, anything !!, legs on foot end are s.steel pinned and epoxied for strength.
Both foot and spike ends with s.steel tips, both bodies are recessed bored 1 ¼” deep for rigid stability and have self-centering/self-tapping s.steel  threaded hardware,-very strong!!, just add your own dowel rod-twist it on, apply set screw and your done..
$45.00 shipped (Paypal) or check, email   -rustyhook at inbox.com for orders/info.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/pizlpicts/ppssoftbswpole001.jpg

22' Tolman Jumbo - Started 2/9/2002 Launched 9/4/2005
97 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 CTD, Auto. 200k. Biodiesel, Home ground #100 Plate, K&N, new balljoints, Bilsteins, High Performance Diesel Transmission
Expense Report Automation
ebbtide
Swabbie

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »

hav'nt built any Tolmans yet!!! -i build small skiffs ,tunnel hulls ,,, a few commercial fishing boats years ago - now just flats skiffs ,plywood on cypress frame,, what are the size range of Tolmans  ,thank you  -rhook
funhouse
Boson

real Tolmans don't have windshields

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

Why go to all the trouble of building a wooden boat and then laden it with plastic bits?  I got this design out of an old WoodenBoat....easy to build...pushes as well as pulls, lead plug in handle so it floats straight up and down with 12" showing, does not bang up the skiff when using it and looks the business.....save the dowels for the closet and the plastic bits for your next Boston Whaler.  Bruce
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »

It's the metal tips v. epoxy/wood boats that I can't quite square up in my mind...

bd

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
KenB
Second Mate

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »

hav'nt built any Tolmans yet!!! -i build small skiffs ,tunnel hulls ,,, a few commercial fishing boats years ago - now just flats skiffs ,plywood on cypress frame,, what are the size range of Tolmans  ,thank you  -rhook

Good looking flats boat.

Tolmans are 18 to 24 feet long. One guy apparently did a regular tolman then cut the sides down in order to make it more flats friendly.

I have been thinking about doing a standard (i.e. 18 feet, no chine) with a poling platform. The problem with regular flats boats around here (cape cod) is that they are way too flat for 90% of the afternoons when we get about 1-2 feet of chop. I was in a 17 ft. action craft a few years ago chasing late season bonito and sure enough the wind blew up and we had to slog back 6 miles at 10 mph because any faster and we would have gone airborne.

The other problem with flats fishing around here is that stripers are all gone... (at least from the flats).

best,
KenB

"HOW CHEAPLY CAN A TOLMAN SKIFF BE BUILT AND JUST HOW  MUCH IS SACRIFICED IF COST IS THE PRIME MOVER?"
- Bruce Armstrong   

"I can tell you that either a nice BFT or a big YFT is an absolute riot on a Tolman. The boat is so light it's like the old man and the sea..."
- Dave Nolan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com