FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
August 01, 2014, 03:47:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Join the Fishyfish Forums and see the missing images that you are not seeing by being a lurking non-member.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 26' Great Alaskan under construction in Gresham, Oregon  (Read 9039 times)
UB
Able Seaman

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »

Nice boat,  I saw it and thought about checking it out but my shop wasn't ready (still isn't but getting there).  Did you glass both sides per Renn or was it already done as a later model Clipper?
Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

No glass on the hull sides (though I plan to glass the aft hull to transom joint in the spring), just a thick coat of epoxy that I made thicker. Glassing the laps would be very, very difficult.

E

hrg
Deckhand

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »

Ok, let me get this straight , you are proposing to go 30+ miles offshore with Tailgunner and discuss a replacement for her. Hmmm, call me superstitious, but Shocked. Just looked at the pictures and your site again. Beautiful job.

Harry g
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »

Come on down next summer, maybe we can talk about how to best set up a GA28 over some albacore stripping reels?

E

Actually, I'm probably coming down in June for my son's high school graduation ...he lives with his mother in Corvallis.  That's probably way too soon for tuna though... the warm water doesn't start creeping in closer to shore until August, right?

Brian

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »

Last week of june we might have a shot, but that is still VERY early. Fish would grade out small and be a little tough to find. Still, we could take some time to talk about a GA then.

E

luk diver
Second Mate

Email
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »

We run a similiar setup with 2 rods out the back(tied down with releases), 2 out the side 30-degrees? and outriggers. Really reconmend the outriggers and we shopped eBay and nailed a old set of chromed brass LEE outrigger bases(1-1/4"?) and tubes. Just using cheapee 18' poles from Westmarine and works great. Really spreads out the lines so tangle free. Top-shoted with #50 Yosuri Hybrid flourocarbon and seems to make a difference. Drag about all the deck space being tied up with engine box and seats. That's the beauty of a Tolman Jumbo(24') or GA 26'+ as you have the beam to place large(120-140? qt.) icechest athwatship in the middle of the fishdeck and carry the #600 of ice to really chill the albacore. You bleed,gut/gill? Agreed late June early but you guys were ahead of us this year by quite a bit as we didn't make our run till July 24. Good fishing, B & B
Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »

Bob I like your setup, still considering the outrigger program, but I'd be switching up to 7 rods if we did that (got the extra room, why not right?) and it'd be hectic.

I am thinking hard about switching to hollow core braid and doing the threaded topshot/knotless program on the casting rods. Definitely would use the fluoro you guys use.

We are doing sashimi grade fish care, so each is gaffed, brain spiked, then bled at the gill arches and behind the pectoral fin both sides. Then we slurry the fish to cool/bleed, then pack them in ice. Haven't been able to gill/gut them at sea yet because we've had good luck on trips and generally have been too busy pulling on fish.

Where are you home ported?

E

luk diver
Second Mate

Email
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »

Same area as Steve Dampier, San Francisco East bay. Usually fishing tuna out of Monterey Bay last several seasons and last season was 60m and this season warm water is mostly holding at 80-100m here. Closer in up north at Fort Bragg last month but bite kinda died. Supposedly ditto for southern Cal bite out of Morro bay. We're kinda stuck-in-the-mud as have 7miles of heavy mono(special buy) and just switched to the hybrid 3-4 years ago after a zip-trip. Pretty affordable buying 275yd. 1/4lb. spools off eBay. We direct tie to the tuna clones so that's why we like the flourocarbon. We're watching the longrange weather models and likely we'll get several weather windows to chase the longfins down here. probably ditto for you. That's great on the sashimi-grade! Albacore white flesh is so mild(treated right) it's amazing. B & B
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com