FishyFish Tolman Alaskan Skiff and Boat Building Forums Back to Fishyfish
November 21, 2014, 10:26:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com

News: Join the Fishyfish Forums and see the missing images that you are not seeing by being a lurking non-member.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 26' Great Alaskan under construction in Gresham, Oregon  (Read 9403 times)
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »

Sure looks big!

Summer launch, wow.  That guy builds a little faster that you and I do Brian. Cheesy  I am hoping for a summer launch too, but it has been three years in process.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Larry

Faster than me for sure.  I'm the King of Slow!

I think he's about 4 months into his project now.  Keep in mind that he owns his own machining company (Top Notch Machining) and works more than full time.  He planned on building quicker, but as the business owner ...he can't turn away work just to go build a boat.

Brian

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
SmokinFletch
Second Mate

I got a boat building problem!

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »

Looks good,
  It took me about 10 months from the stage he is now to flip. But, I got 2 jobs and teen kids.
  Lots of corners to reinforce, fiberglass the entire thing, fair the hull, stakes, etc..
  I would like to see a motor mount picture.
  Looks big. Lobsta boat style.

walknbob
Global Moderator
Chief Officer

24'5" Jumbo

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »

Latest update:  Here's an approximate rendering of what Adrian is planning to do with the GA design, and his latest progress.  He'll be flipping the hull soon and is on track for a Summer 2010 launch.

Awesome.
Launching this summer? Wow he has LOTS to do between now and this summer.

WalknBob aka Bob Southwick - Anchor Point Alaska
The risk of collision became an issue the day the second boat was built.
tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »

Latest update:  Here's an approximate rendering of what Adrian is planning to do with the GA design, and his latest progress.  He'll be flipping the hull soon and is on track for a Summer 2010 launch.

Awesome.
Launching this summer? Wow he has LOTS to do between now and this summer.

He's making fast progress, but the build is also subject to how much work he does in his business.  Business comes first.  Even if he doesn't launch this summer, it won't be long after ...he's got an indoor heated shop to work in and he's motivated.

Brian

--> If you are posting about the Great Alaskan by Glacier Boats of Alaska, please don't forget to post at our forums as wellhttp://www.glacierboats.com/forum/ (Thanks!) <--
Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »

Brian, I'm bumping this one up. What's the word?

E

tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »

Both boats got a little stalled ...the one in Gresham because the guy owns his own machining company and has fortunately been overwhelmed with work lately.  The one in Perth, Australia got stalled while the guy went to New Zealand to help his son move back to Australia ...$17k and several weeks in that effort!  I think both are getting going again though and there are 2 others that I know of that seem about ready to start.  Another in Australia ...but Queensland this time.  Opposite end of the island...

Brian

Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »

I'm not too far from the one in Gresham (I'm in Spokane) and once it is complete I'd like to see about getting in the boat for a ride. After researching the Tolman, I ended up building out a 23 foot Clippercraft (the last unfinished one in existence) for albacore and halibut fishing. She's a great boat, but 28 feet sure would be a welcome chunk of real estate. Just gotta see if I can get comparable fuel economy.

E

tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

I'm not too far from the one in Gresham (I'm in Spokane) and once it is complete I'd like to see about getting in the boat for a ride. After researching the Tolman, I ended up building out a 23 foot Clippercraft (the last unfinished one in existence) for albacore and halibut fishing. She's a great boat, but 28 feet sure would be a welcome chunk of real estate. Just gotta see if I can get comparable fuel economy.

E

The two boats should have similar economy, but the larger version GA is well ...larger.  The number one factor that helps or hurts economy is boat weight.  The larger boat, e.g. the 28' GA, will weigh maybe 20% more than your 23' Clippercraft.  Otherwise, the boats are very similar when it comes to bottom design, deadrise angle, etcetera and I can't see how they'd perform very differently from that perspective.  I don't know what the Clippercraft's waterline beam is, so I can't compare aspect ratios ...being wider v. length is more efficient on a planing hull (narrower/longer is more efficient for displacement hulls) ...up to a point.  If they water is rough, then it's possible for a boat to be too wide too.  Most of the Floatels that you see being built nowadays are inefficiently wide for example, the main emphasis being on accommodations ...salesmen like that.

The GA in Gresham is a 25-footer with sponsons ...equivalent waterline length to a 26' to 27' version of the boat.  A good size to test... right in the middle of the range.  The boat in Perth, Australia is on the other end ...a 28 footer, and modified to have a slightly rounder bow and a slightly rounded transom.

Brian

Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:38 AM »

Thanks Brian.

She's 7'  on the waterline, 8'6" at the gunnels, and the bow has a long overhang so the waterline length is probably closer to 20' than 23'. Another difference being the Clippercraft is a constant deadrise (10 degrees) where yours looks to be a little easier riding boat, no question there. Here's a shot of her:

I'll be looking forward to some progress photos, as a 28 would be such a great albacore platform. Little trunk cabin forward with a berth, slightly smaller wheelhouse and possibly some walkaround space.

E

UB
Able Seaman

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »

Is this the boat that was advertised a while back on Craigs list as "last of the line" with a volvo outdrive?  ub
Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »

That's the one, but I picked it up for $5k...

E

tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »

Beautiful boat!  Take nice care of it and when you sell, you'll make a pretty profit.  Those things are becoming collector's items.

Did you rig the stern for hand-lining the tuna, e.g. small cleat, no transom in the way of a hand line going over the stern?

Brian

Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »

Thanks, hopefully everyone can see the amount of inspiration the Tolman's gave over to this project, there's lots of Renn's techniques and style in her construction.

I'm running a 5 rod setup on the troll for tuna:

3 across the transom, 2 at a 30 degree angle out the sides, which gives us a nice overlap and a relatively effective W pattern. During the trips this year, we had zero tangles from the troll, the only messes came from fish moving through the gear faster than we could clear it.

I have 4 eyes on the transom, laid out to keep lines down and hold a 30x60 kill bag. The outermost eyes have downrigger releases on them on an 18" piece of 200lb mono. These are attached to the corner transom rod lines and keep the line down so the gear can cross tangle-free. As I've learned this year, 5 rods can make it plenty hectic back there, no need for handlines, though we could easily do some tuna cord and a clone.

She does catch fish...

This 5 rod thing is why I'm actually eyeballing the GA. If I can add one more crew, we can run an effective bait stop instead of relying on the troll so much. A larger dance floor, room for a bait tank, and the ability to put 3 in the back while I run the boat would make for a lethal combination, so long as I can keep the fuel costs in check.

Been thinking about picking up study plans so I could start laying her out.

E

tananaBrian
Captain

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »

I miss being able to get fresh tuna like that.  As far as I know, I'd have to go a LONG ways to get that here in Alaska.  We've got a lot up here, but not everything!

Brian

Spokaloo
Able Seaman

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »

Come on down next summer, maybe we can talk about how to best set up a GA28 over some albacore stripping reels?

E

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CNC Sign Carving

Sign cutting, & carving. CNC milling. SaltWaterWorkshop.com